Question about Stress-Energy Tensor: A First Course in GR

In summary, the author is saying that if the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces, then the flux of momentum across the interfaces will be zero.
GR191511
I came across a statement in《A First Course in General Relativity》on page 97 which confused me.It read:"if the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces,then##T^i{^j}##will be zero unless ##i=j##".
Where the ##T## is stress-energy tensor,##T^i{^j}##is the flux of i momentum across the j surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
GR191511 said:
I came across a statement in《A First Course in General Relativity》on page 97 which confused me.It read:"if the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces,then##T^i{^j}##will be zero unless ##i=j##".
Where the ##T## is stress-energy tensor,##T^i{^j}##is the flux of i momentum across the j surface.
What confuses you about the statement?

Orodruin said:
What confuses you about the statement?
If the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces,then##T^i{^j}##will be zero?Why?

GR191511 said:
If the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces,then##T^i{^j}##will be zero?Why?
The spatial components ##T^{ij}## are in essence the stress tensor, which means that the components are the ##i## component of the force across an interface in the ##j## direction.

Likes Ibix
Orodruin said:
The spatial components ##T^{ij}## are in essence the stress tensor, which means that the components are the ##i## component of the force across an interface in the ##j## direction.
Oh! I see...Thank you!

GR191511 said:
if the forces are perpendicular to the interfaces
"Perpendicular to the interface" is potentially a misleading phrase.

Does that mean perpendicular to the plane of the interface or perpendicular to the normal to the plane of the interface? Clearly the author means the former. But if I am trying to associate a direction with an interface so that I can judge perpendicularity, the direction I would would immediately choose is the normal. Perpendicular to that direction has a meaning opposite to the author's intent.

I struggled for a minute or two trying to figure out how the author's statement could possibly be correct until I caught on to the intended interpretation.

Likes GR191511
The direction of a surface by definition is along the normal (with the sign choice arbitrary of course).

Likes GR191511
vanhees71 said:
with the sign choice arbitrary of course
Have you told the divergence theorem this? 😁

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
In the divergence theorem we have a sign convention followed in all except of one textbook source I know, i.e., with the surface-normal vectors of the boundary ##\partial V## pointing out of the volume, and (in Cartesian coordinates) ##\mathrm{div} \vec{A}=+\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A} = \partial_j A^j##.

The only exception is Max von Laue's textbook on relativity. There he uses the convention to let the surface-normal vectors pointing inwards. It drives you nuts, when used for years to the "standard convention", but after all, it's just a convention!

Likes malawi_glenn and dextercioby

1. What is the stress-energy tensor in general relativity?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in general relativity to describe the distribution of matter and energy in a given space-time. It is a rank-2 tensor that contains 10 components, representing the energy density, momentum density, and stress (pressure and shear) of a given region of space-time.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor related to Einstein's field equations?

The stress-energy tensor is the source term in Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy. Specifically, the stress-energy tensor appears on the right-hand side of the equations, while the left-hand side contains the curvature tensor.

3. What physical quantities does the stress-energy tensor represent?

The stress-energy tensor represents the energy and momentum density, as well as the stress (pressure and shear) of a given region of space-time. It is a mathematical way to describe the distribution of matter and energy in a given space-time.

4. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated by using the Einstein field equations to solve for the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of space-time. The metric tensor is then used to calculate the curvature tensor, which is then used to calculate the stress-energy tensor.

5. What are some real-world applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is used in various fields of physics, including astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. It is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments, such as black holes and the early universe. It is also used in the study of gravitational waves and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as in nuclear reactions.