Calculate 6-Spoke Wheel Torque: F1d1+F2d2=F3d3+F4d4

In summary, a 6 spoke wheel with a radius of 2 meters has 4 - 1 Kg masses hanging from the point where the spoke meets the rim. If the net torque acting on the wheel is negative, what is the weight of a 1kg mass at Earth's surface?
paulimerci
Homework Statement
A 6 spoke wheel with a radius of 2 meters has 4 - 1 Kg masses hanging from the point where the spoke meets the rim as shown. What would be the net torque acting on the wheel?
Relevant Equations
Applying Rotational equlibrium, F1d1 + F2d2 = F3d3 + F4d4
F_{1}d_{1} + F_{2}d_{2} = F_{3}d_{3} + F_{4}d_{4}
m_{1} gR cos 60 + m_{2}gR cos 60 = m_{3}gR cos 60 + m_{4}gR sin 90
m1 = m2= m3= m4= m
R1=R2=R3=R4=R
\sigma\tau = sin 90 - cos 60 = 0.5 Nm.
Have I done this right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.59.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.59.26 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
paulimerci said:
Homework Statement:: A 6 spoke wheel with a radius of 2 meters has 4 - 1 Kg masses hanging from the point where the spoke meets the rim as shown. What would be the net torque acting on the wheel?
Relevant Equations:: Applying Rotational equlibrium, F1d1 + F2d2 = F3d3 + F4d4

R1=R2=R3=R4=R
You only have R as variable in your torque equation
m_{1} gR cos 60 + m_{2}gR cos 60 = m_{3}gR cos 60 + m_{4}gR sin 90

You should be able to argue that the torques generated by these two masses cancel straight away
1667023550143.png

Likes topsquark
The result is correct. The reasoning is not. You cannot apply rotational equilibrium because there is a net torque (it is what you are asked to find!)
Your result also does not follow from the zero net torque equation.

Likes topsquark and paulimerci
yes, I did that. Thanks!

Orodruin said:
The result is correct. The reasoning is not. You cannot apply rotational equilibrium because there is a net torque (it is what you are asked to find!)
Your result also does not follow from the zero net torque equation.
Thanks!

paulimerci said:
Thanks!

paulimerci said:
\sigma \tau = m_{1} gR cos 60 + m_{2}gR cos 60 - m_{3}gR cos 60 - m_{4}gR sin 90 = -sin 90 + cos 60 = - 0.5 Nm. Have I done it right now? It looks like I got negative torque.

paulimerci said:
##\Sigma \tau = m_{1} gR cos 60 + m_{2}gR cos 60 - m_{3}gR cos 60 - m_{4}gR sin 90 = -sin 90 + cos 60 = - 0.5 ##Nm. Have I done it right now? It looks like I got negative torque.
It's negative because it is clockwise.
But your answer is wrong numerically. What is the weight of a 1kg mass at Earth's surface?

Note it is \Sigma for ##\Sigma##, and on this platform the LaTeX has to be enclosed in double hashes (# #, without the space), or double $ if you want it on a separate line.

Likes topsquark
It’s 9.81kgm/s2

paulimerci said:
Homework Statement:: A 6 spoke wheel with a radius of 2 meters has 4 - 1 Kg masses hanging from the point where the spoke meets the rim as shown. What would be the net torque acting on the wheel?
Relevant Equations:: Applying Rotational equlibrium, F1d1 + F2d2 = F3d3 + F4d4

m1 = m2= m3= m4= m
R1=R2=R3=R4=R
\sigma\tau = sin 90 - cos 60 = 0.5 Nm.
Have I done this right?
Are you cancelling out the m's and R's.
What should be the final equation to determine the torque?

your torque can be negative, or positive.
You did not up front specify which direction - clockwise or counterclockwise - is in the positive direction.

Although, implicitly, the positive direction can be gleamed from your balance of torques equation as being counterclockwise.

paulimerci said:
It’s 9.81kgm/s2
Oh. I forgot to include g

I got the answer as -9.8Nm.

paulimerci said:
I got the answer as -9.8Nm.
Right, using the commonest convention that anticlockwise is positive.

Likes paulimerci

What is the formula for calculating 6-spoke wheel torque?

The formula for calculating 6-spoke wheel torque is F1d1+F2d2=F3d3+F4d4, where F1, F2, F3, and F4 are the forces acting on the spokes and d1, d2, d3, and d4 are the distances from the center of the wheel to each spoke.

How do I determine the forces acting on the spokes?

The forces acting on the spokes can be determined by measuring the weight of the vehicle and the weight distribution on each wheel. These forces can also be affected by factors such as acceleration, braking, and turning.

What units should be used for the distances in the formula?

The distances should be measured in meters (m) for the formula to be accurate. If the distances are measured in other units, they should be converted to meters before plugging them into the formula.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation include variations in weight distribution, changes in forces due to acceleration or braking, and changes in the distance between the wheel and the spokes due to suspension movement.

How can this formula be used in practical applications?

This formula can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and testing vehicle wheels, determining the ideal weight distribution for a vehicle, and analyzing the forces acting on a wheel during different driving conditions.