Understanding Quantum Mechanics: Equations for Spin Along x and y Axes Explained

• I
  • Thread starter doggydan42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axes Spin
In summary, Leonard Susskind discusses the equations |r>, |l> and|i>, |o> for r and l along the x-axis and i and o along the y-axis. He defines |r>, |l> and|i>, |o> for r and l along the x-axis and i and o along the y-axis. In particular, |r> is directed along the +x axis and |l> is directed along the -x axis. If you exchange the negative sign in r and l then the eigenvalue relations won't hold. The book does talk about paulispin matrices. It makes sense now that the relations hold for choice of direction, though why can
doggydan42
I am currently reading Leonard Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics the Theoretical Minimum". In chapter 2.3 and 2.4, he defines |r>, |l> and|i>, |o>, for r and l along the x-axis and i and o along the y axis.

The equations are:

$$|r> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|u>+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|d>$$
Since ##<r|l>=0##,
$$|l> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|u>-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|d>$$

It then follows that,
$$|i> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|u>+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|d>$$
$$|o> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|u>-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|d>$$

I understand that if r and l are real, then i and o must have an imaginary component (proof is done in excercise2.3); however, would it be possible to replace r for i and l for o to switch where the imaginary nmber is and maintain the same meaning within the equation.

Also, I understand that for ##<r|l>=0## then l must have ##-|d>## if the d in r is positive. Would it be possible to exchange the negative sign in r and l, or similarly replace l with r and vice versa.

Overall, given the possible ambiguity in choices for the negative sign and the imaginary component, why are these specific equations chosen?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
doggydan42 said:
Would it be possible to exchange the negative sign in r and l, or similarly replace l with r and vice versa.

Does this book talk about the Pauli spin matrices? |r> must be an eigenvector of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalue 1 and |l> must be an eigenvector of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalue -1. This is because |r> is directed along the +x axis and |l> is directed along the -x axis. If you exchange the negative sign in r and l then the eigenvalue relations won't hold.

##\sigma_x## is a two-by-two matrix with zeroes on the diagonal and 1 on the off-diagonal elements.

And |u> is directed along the z axis. It is a column vector of length two with a 1 in the first position and a zero in the second position. |d> is a column vector with a zero in the first position and a 1 in the second position, because it is directed along the -z axis.

Gene Naden said:
Does this book talk about the Pauli spin matrices? |r> must be an eigenvector of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalue 1 and |l> must be an eigenvector of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalue -1. This is because |r> is directed along the +x axis and |l> is directed along the -x axis. If you exchange the negative sign in r and l then the eigenvalue relations won't hold.

##\sigma_x## is a two-by-two matrix with zeroes on the diagonal and 1 on the off-diagonal elements.

And |u> is directed along the z axis. It is a column vector of length two with a 1 in the first position and a zero in the second position. |d> is a column vector with a zero in the first position and a 1 in the second position, because it is directed along the -z axis.

The book does talk about paulispin matrices. It makes sense now that the relations hold for choice of direction, though why can't we choose ##\sigma_x## to have the imaginary pauli matrix, which would result in ##\sigma_y## becoming the initial pauli matrix for ##\sigma_x##?

Thank you

doggydan42 said:
The book does talk about paulispin matrices. It makes sense now that the relations hold for choice of direction, though why can't we choose ##\sigma_x## to have the imaginary pauli matrix, which would result in ##\sigma_y## becoming the initial pauli matrix for ##\sigma_x##?
You could do that, but then you would have a left-handed coordinate system instead of a right-handed one. The latter is chosen by convention.

DrClaude said:
You could do that, but then you would have a left-handed coordinate system instead of a right-handed one. The latter is chosen by convention.

If it all comes down to a case of how we set-up the coordinate system, then maybe I am confused about the interpretation of the pauli matrices. I understand that ##\sigma_z## which includes both 1 and -1 where u and d would be in a matrix, but then ##\sigma_x## has ones along the off-diagonals. How does the puali matrix relate the geometry that represent the right-handed coordinate system?

Thank you

doggydan42 said:
How does the puali matrix relate the geometry that represent the right-handed coordinate system?
DrClaude said:
... then you would have a left-handed coordinate system instead of a right-handed one. The latter is chosen by convention.

The Pauli matrices have commutation relations similar to those of angular momentum:
##[\sigma_a,\sigma_b]=\epsilon_{abc}\sigma_c## For example ##[\sigma_x,\sigma_y]=2i\sigma_z##. This may be related to having a right-handed coordinate system because the cross product of a unit vector on the x-axis with a unit vector on the y-axis gives a unit vector on the z axis.

Gene Naden said:
The Pauli matrices have commutation relations similar to those of angular momentum:
##[\sigma_a,\sigma_b]=\epsilon_{abc}\sigma_c## For example ##[\sigma_x,\sigma_y]=2i\sigma_z##. This may be related to having a right-handed coordinate system because the cross product of a unit vector on the x-axis with a unit vector on the y-axis gives a unit vector on the z axis.

I see the relationship between angular momentum, which is even discussed in the book, but there is a factor of i. Further, the pauli matrices are:

$$\sigma_z = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
$$
$$\sigma_x = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
$$
$$\sigma_y = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i\\
i & 0
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Is there any significance to the placement of the 1's and i's within the matrix that can reveal the geometry of the system?

The factor of ##i## is part of the regular commutation relations of angular momentum, which are, for example ##[L_x,L_y]=iL_z## where I am using natural units in which hbar is equal to one.

In general, the matrices could be different, I think. The important thing is that they satisfy the commutation relations. These are, as we have said, related to the handedness of the coordinate system.

Gene Naden said:
The factor of ##i## is part of the regular commutation relations of angular momentum, which are, for example ##[L_x,L_y]=iL_z## where I am using natural units in which hbar is equal to one.

In general, the matrices could be different, I think. The important thing is that they satisfy the commutation relations. These are, as we have said, related to the handedness of the coordinate system.

That makes sense with the relation between the commutator and poisson brackets. Are these unique solutions that satisfy the commutation relations? Is it possible to prove if it is or isn't unique?

Thank you

The Pauli matrices are not unique. The form a basis for the generators of rotations. You can have a different basis. But I haven't seen anybody do that. I think you could permute x, y and z cyclically ##\sigma_x \rightarrow \sigma_y##, ##\sigma_y \rightarrow \sigma_z##, ##\sigma_z \rightarrow \sigma_x##
The state vectors would be different if the Pauli matrices were different. For example, if we permute x, y and z cyclically then the column vector with 1 in the first position and 0 in the second position might represent |r>.

Gene Naden said:
The Pauli matrices are not unique. The form a basis for the generators of rotations. You can have a different basis. But I haven't seen anybody do that. I think you could permute x, y and z cyclically ##\sigma_x \rightarrow \sigma_y##, ##\sigma_y \rightarrow \sigma_z##, ##\sigma_z \rightarrow \sigma_x##
The state vectors would be different if the Pauli matrices were different. For example, if we permute x, y and z cyclically then the column vector with 1 in the first position and 0 in the second position might represent |r>.

I guess my confusion with the pauli matrices lies in i. ##\sigma_z## seems to represent the possible outcomes of measuring the spin along z. However ##\sigma_y## has two imaginary numbers. What is the best way to think about the meaning behind the puali matrices.

Thank you.

doggydan42 said:
That makes sense with the relation between the commutator and poisson brackets. Are these unique solutions that satisfy the commutation relations? Is it possible to prove if it is or isn't unique?

Thank you

If you assume that [itex]\sigma_z = \left( \begin{array}\\ 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex], then the commutation rules and hermiticity imply that:

[itex]\sigma_x = \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 & e^{i\alpha} \\ e^{-i\alpha} & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]
[itex]\sigma_y = \left( \begin{array}\\ 0 & -i e^{i\alpha} \\ +i e^{-i\alpha} & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

for some phase [itex]\alpha[/itex]. It's just a convenience to pick [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex].

Likes Gene Naden
Well they represent quantum operators, so there can be complex numbers. Remember the operators for angular momentum in the Schrodinger equation:
##L^\vec=\vec r \times \vec p = \vec r \times -i \nabla##
They have i in them.

The possible measurement outcomes are represented by the eigenvalues of the matrices (or operators). These eigenvalues are real. This is because the Pauli matrices are Hermition. See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitian_matrix#Properties

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of these particles, leading to advancements in technology such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

2. What is spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, similar to their mass and charge. It refers to the angular momentum of a particle around its own axis, and is described by the equations for spin along x and y axes.

3. How do the equations for spin along x and y axes work?

The equations for spin along x and y axes are based on the mathematical principles of quantum mechanics. They describe the probability of a particle having a certain spin value when measured along the x or y axes, and can be used to predict the outcomes of experiments.

4. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is significant because it is a fundamental property of particles and plays a crucial role in many quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement. It also has practical applications in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics.

5. Are the equations for spin along x and y axes difficult to understand?

The equations for spin along x and y axes may seem complicated at first, but with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and some mathematical background, they can be understood and applied to solve problems in quantum physics. Practice and familiarity with the concepts can also make them easier to understand.