Calculate acceleration and kinetic friction coefficient

In summary, the conversation involves the calculation of a particle's acceleration on a rough inclined plane and the determination of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the particle and the surface of the plane. The equations used are ΣF=ma and μ= frictional force/normal force, where ΣF represents the summation of forces in a given direction and μ represents the coefficient of friction. The solution involves setting up equations for the horizontal and vertical directions and solving for the unknown variables. It is also noted that the equation μ=tanθ is only valid in certain contexts and may not be applicable in all cases.
fission

Homework Statement

A particle of mass M is released from rest on a rough inclined plane, which makes an
angle of 30° with the horizontal. It is observed that the particle moves a distance of 3 m
in 3 s. What is the particle’s acceleration? Draw a properly labelled free body diagram.
Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the particle and the surface of the
inclined plane.

Homework Equations

i made the equation of force with the help of formula F=mg. Equation i made was mg*sin 30 - kinetic friction force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated coefficient of kinetic friction by tan 30 = 0.58
then i used equation mg.sin 30 - mg.cos30. 0.58 = ma.
m got divided on both sides but i am getting value of a -0.02 something so what does that mean? acceleration is negative? mass is going up instead of down? its very confusing please help me.

also how to use data it moves 3m in 3sec. why its given?

Physics news on Phys.org
fission said:
i calculated coefficient of kinetic friction by tan 30 = 0.58
Every equation in physics has a context in which it is valid. What is the context for the equation ##\mu=\tan \theta##?

haruspex said:
Every equation in physics has a context in which it is valid. What is the context for the equation ##\mu=\tan \theta##?
its valid here by geometry. i can't show u by drawing a diagram here but if we draw a fbd of mass on inclined plane and forces acting on it then by equation ##\mu= frictional force / normal force. we can have tan theta = cofficient of friction.

fission said:
its valid here by geometry. i can't show u by drawing a diagram here but if we draw a fbd of mass on inclined plane and forces acting on it then by equation ##\mu= frictional force / normal force. we can have tan theta = cofficient of friction.
Only if frictional force/normal force equals tan theta. To get that, you are making an assumption that is not valid here.

haruspex said:
Only if frictional force/normal force equals tan theta. To get that, you are making an assumption that is not valid here.
then please help me how to solve this question? i am really stuck at it.

fission said:
then please help me how to solve this question? i am really stuck at it.
Write the ΣF=ma equations for two directions, either for the horizontal and vertical directions or for the tangent to plane and normal to plane directions. Your choice (but I recommend the second).

haruspex said:
Write the ΣF=ma equations for two directions, either for the horizontal and vertical directions or for the tangent to plane and normal to plane directions. Your choice (but I recommend the second).
how can i do that? the body is not at rest and i can't balance any equilibrium forces. can you please provide me with a full solution. that would be really helpful. :)

fission said:
how can i do that? the body is not at rest and i can't balance any equilibrium forces. can you please provide me with a full solution. that would be really helpful. :)
You don't need the body to be at rest to use that equation. At rest would mean no acceleration, ΣF=0. But ΣF=ma is perfectly general.
Homework Forum rules: we do not provide full solutions, just hints, verifications and corrections.

haruspex said:
You don't need the body to be at rest to use that equation. At rest would mean no acceleration, ΣF=0. But ΣF=ma is perfectly general.
Homework Forum rules: we do not provide full solutions, just hints, verifications and corrections.
yea, i read the forum rules, sorry fr my ignorance. but the problem is i am not able to arrive at final solution. i tries to create 2 equations by taking the slope of inclined plane as x-axis and normal as y-axis but still i wasn't getting adequate data to solve 2 variables. it still requires coefficient of friction value. idk where am i going wrong i have skipped this question for now from my assignment. can you at least please tell me what would be those two equations that would be a lot of help and don't we have to use the data 3m in 3s? Thanks a lot :) hope i get a solution this question really troubled me a lot xD

fission said:
yea, i read the forum rules, sorry fr my ignorance. but the problem is i am not able to arrive at final solution. i tries to create 2 equations by taking the slope of inclined plane as x-axis and normal as y-axis but still i wasn't getting adequate data to solve 2 variables. it still requires coefficient of friction value. idk where am i going wrong i have skipped this question for now from my assignment. can you at least please tell me what would be those two equations that would be a lot of help and don't we have to use the data 3m in 3s? Thanks a lot :) hope i get a solution this question really troubled me a lot xD
Don't just tell us you got equations you couldn't solve, post your working as far as you got. If we can't see what you did, we can't see where you are going wrong.

haruspex said:
Don't just tell us you got equations you couldn't solve, post your working as far as you got. If we can't see what you did, we can't see where you are going wrong.
Hi, sorry for late reply. Was busy with my assignments. I did the solution this way in the pic below pls tell if its correct. I feel I can't use equation of motion here which I did.
ezio02.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160406_173452-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20160406_173452-1-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 411
Looks good to me.

fission said:
I feel I can't use equation of motion here
What you did was fine. What bothers you?

Likes fission
PeroK said:
Looks good to me.

haruspex said:
What you did was fine. What bothers you?

thx for verification, i was thinking i can't use equations of motion here as they are for 1-d motion but here we are working in 2-d plane. Also can u please tell me why do tan theta = coefficient of friction was not working here? what was i doing wrong there? thanks

fission said:
thx for verification, i was thinking i can't use equations of motion here as they are for 1-d motion but here we are working in 2-d plane. Also can u please tell me why do tan theta = coefficient of friction was not working here? what was i doing wrong there? thanks

If you have 2D motion, then you have the equations of motion separately in each direction. You could solve this problem by taking the horizontal and vertical directions as your two axes. But, that would be more difficult.

What you did, therefore, was to take the direction down the slope as one axis and the normal direction as the other. This effectively reduced the problem to 1D motion. Why? Because the particle is constrained to move down the slope, so there is no motion in the normal direction.

Why should ##\mu = tan \theta##? That means friction would be dependent only on the angle. So, friction on an icy slope of angle ##\theta## would be the same as friction on a rough slope of angle ##\theta##.

What you might be thinking is that the acceleration down a slope is related to ##\mu## and ##tan \theta##. You might like to try to derive that relationship.

fission said:
why do tan theta = coefficient of friction was not working here? what was i doing wrong there?
The context in which that equation applies is constant speed. Most usually, it is applied where the particle is on the point of sliding, and it's μs.

1. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves across a surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is sliding on.

3. How is kinetic friction coefficient determined?

Kinetic friction coefficient is determined by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction force by the normal force acting on the object. The formula for kinetic friction coefficient is μk = Fk / Fn, where μk is the coefficient, Fk is the kinetic friction force, and Fn is the normal force.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction, as it only opposes the motion of an object, while static friction prevents an object from moving at all.

5. How does the mass of an object affect acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.