Calculate acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon

In summary: I edited my post. But I'm still confused on how to get my acceleration from this. I end up with something like 7.3 x 10^8 m/s^2. I also tried v_0 = 0 and still ended up with a large number (8.7 x 10^6 m/s^2) which doesn't seem plausible.You are making a mistake in your units. Your final velocity is given in yards per second, but your distance is given in feet. You need to convert one of them to match the other. Once you do that, you should get a reasonable answer for the acceleration.In summary, the novel From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne describes a spaceship
hgducharme

Homework Statement

Jules Verne [/B]In his novel From the Earth to the Moon (1866), Jules Verne describes a spaceship that is blasted out of a cannon, called the Columbiad, with a speed of 12,000 yards/s. The Columbiad is 900 ft long, but part of it is packed with powder, so the spaceship accelerates over a distance of only 700 ft. Estimate the acceleration experienced by the occupants of the spaceship during launch.

v0 = 10,975.60976 m/s
a = ?
d = 213.4146341 m

Homework Equations

[/B]
1) [itex]x= x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
2) [itex]v^2 = v_o^2 + 2a\Delta x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the second equation, but I got an insane number that isn't plausible. My main problem is what should I consider V0, is it 0 or is it the 10,975 m/s? If I set it to 0, then I'm only calculating the acceleration from at rest to as soon as it leaves the cannon's barrel. Otherwise, if I set it to the 10,975 m/s, then I don't know the final velocity after accelerating for 213.4 m. Also, would the acceleration be considered as [itex]-9.8\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The initial velocity is zero, the final velocity 12,000 yards/s. The distance over which the capsule accelerates is 700 ft.

Remember, this is fiction...

initial speed before the charge is lit is zero

final speed you know
distance over which it accelerates is given

find acceleration (the assumption is that acceleration is uniform)

gneill said:
The initial velocity is zero, the final velocity 12,000 yards/s. The distance over which the capsule accelerates is 700 ft.

Remember, this is fiction...

Haha, yes I picked up on that. They would have the speed to get past LEO after 213m.

So are you saying the final velocity is 12,000 yards/s AFTER the 213m uniformed acceleration?

hgducharme said:
Haha, yes I picked up on that. They would have the speed to get past LEO after 213m.

So are you saying the final velocity is 12,000 yards/s AFTER the 213m uniformed acceleration?
Yes, of course. That's how canon's work. The acceleration takes place while the projectile is within the barrel.

Ok, I still can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's my work:

[itex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a\Delta x[/itex] Solving for [itex]a[/itex] gives me:

[itex]\frac{v^2 - v_0^2}{2\Delta x} = a[/itex] Plug in my values:

[itex]\frac{(12,000 yds/s)^2}{2(233.34 yds)} = a[/itex] Simplify:

[itex]\frac{144,000 yds/s}{466.67 yds} = a[/itex]

[itex]308.57 s = a[/itex]

Some how I end up with only seconds as my unit. I assume I'm using the wrong formula?

Edit: Ahhhhh, nevermind. I forgot to square my units in the numerator!

##\left(\frac{yd}{s}\right)^2 = \frac{yd^2}{s^2}## right?

And check the order of magnitude for your yards squared. You've lost several.

Yes, I just caught that, thank you

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon?

The acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon can be calculated using the formula a = (v^2 - u^2)/2s, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and s is the distance traveled.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon?

The acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the ship, the angle of the cannon, the mass of the ship, and the force of the cannon.

3. Can the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon can be negative if the ship is decelerating or slowing down during its flight.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon?

Air resistance can decrease the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon by creating a force that opposes the motion of the ship. This is known as drag and it increases as the ship travels faster through the air.

5. Is the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon constant?

No, the acceleration of a ship fired from a cannon is not constant. It changes as the ship travels due to factors such as air resistance, gravitational pull, and changes in velocity.