Determining the final velocity and acceleration magnitude traveling along an arc

In summary, the motorcycle traveling at 40 m/s when it is at A will have a final speed of 157.08 m/s and an acceleration of -0.05 m/s^2 when it reaches B.
HRubss
Homework Statement
The motorcycle is traveling at 40 m/s when it is at A. If the speed is then decreased at [tex]v'=-(0.05s)m/s^2[/tex], where s is in meters measured from A, determine its speed and acceleration when it reaches B. I attached a picture of the problem.
Relevant Equations
[tex]S = S_0 + v_0(t) + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex] v^2 = (v_0)^2 + 2a(\Delta S)[/tex]
[tex]s = r\theta[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac{v^2}{\rho}[/tex]
[tex]a_t = v'[/tex]
Problem Statement: The motorcycle is traveling at 40 m/s when it is at A. If the speed is then decreased at [tex]v'=-(0.05s)m/s^2[/tex], where s is in meters measured from A, determine its speed and acceleration when it reaches B. I attached a picture of the problem.
Relevant Equations: [tex]S = S_0 + v_0(t) + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex] v^2 = (v_0)^2 + 2a(\Delta S)[/tex]
[tex]s = r\theta[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac{v^2}{\rho}[/tex]
[tex]a_t = v'[/tex]

I figured since the motorcycle travels along an arc, I needed to get the arc length. [tex] s = 150m(60*\frac{\pi}{180}) = 157.08[/tex] .
Then since the tangential acceleration is constant, using the constant acceleration formula to find final velocity...
[tex] v = \sqrt{(40)^2+2(-0.05(157.08))(157.08)}[/tex] but that gave me an imaginary number since the acceleration is negative? I'm not sure if this is the correct process. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 12.138.PNG
    12.138.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 756
Physics news on Phys.org
Can this be moved to introduction physics homework help forum? I think its better suited for there, even though this from an Engineering Dynamics textbook.

EDIT: Thank you!

Last edited:
HRubss said:
since the tangential acceleration is constant,
It isn't, and your first two Relevant Equations aren't, since they only apply to constant acceleration.
I do not understand your calculation for "v". Although the label v is used it represents speed here, not velocity. What is the speed at A?

haruspex said:
It isn't, and your first two Relevant Equations aren't, since they only apply to constant acceleration.
I do not understand your calculation for "v". Although the label v is used it represents speed here, not velocity. What is the speed at A?

Oh! I see, because its a function of distance? So would [tex]ads = vdv[/tex] be more appropriate?
My "v" came from the constant acceleration formula but since it isn't constant, this will not work.
The speed at A is 40 m/s?

EDIT:
Wait I figured it out!
Since acceleration isn't constant and we're given the acceleration as a function of time.
[tex]ads = vdv[/tex]
Integrating both sides,
[tex]\int ads = \int vdv[/tex]
which gives me the final velocity and to find the acceleration magnitude, I used
[tex]a = \sqrt{a_t^2 + a_n^2}[/tex]

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for determining final velocity traveling along an arc?

The formula for determining final velocity traveling along an arc is v = √(v02 + 2aΔx), where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration magnitude, and Δx is the displacement along the arc.

2. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the change in velocity in the direction of motion, while centripetal acceleration is the change in velocity towards the center of the circular path. Tangential acceleration is caused by changes in speed, while centripetal acceleration is caused by changes in direction.

3. How does the radius of the arc affect the final velocity and acceleration magnitude?

The radius of the arc affects the final velocity and acceleration magnitude by changing the amount of centripetal force required to maintain the circular motion. A smaller radius will result in a higher acceleration magnitude and a greater final velocity, while a larger radius will result in a lower acceleration magnitude and a smaller final velocity.

4. What is the difference between angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

5. How can we determine the acceleration magnitude if the final velocity is known?

If the final velocity is known, the acceleration magnitude can be determined by rearranging the formula a = (vf2 - v02) / 2Δx. This formula can be used for both linear and angular motion along an arc.