Calculate Additional Time for Echo in Air to Return | Physics Problem

• Thread starter Evangeline101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Re Billy's ambiguity: same wording for both routes makes the answer correct one way and the other way as well.So wat is the correct answer, 1.33s or 0.46s?The answer is 1.33s
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water (1470 m/s) and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously. The echo in the water takes 0.40s to return. How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return?

Homework Equations

v= Δd/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Δd = vΔt = (1470 m/s) (0.40s) = 588 m

The distance for the echo to return is half of this so:
588m /2 = 294 m (I am not so sure about this part)

Δt = Δd / v = 294 m / 340 m/s = 0.86 s

Additional time:
0.86s - 0.40s = 0.46 s

The echo in the air took 0.46s longer to return.

Is this right? Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Eve, :welcome:

Evangeline101 said:
The distance for the echo to return is half of this
And why is that ?

Well I just thought 588 m would be the total distance for the echo to go their and reflect back so you would divide by two to get the actual distance?

Evangeline101 said:
Well I just thought 588 m would be the total distance for the echo to go their and reflect back so you would divide by two to get the actual distance?

You would divide by two to find the distance to the cliff but you aren't interested in that.

You correctly found the echo in the water travels 588 metres, will the echo in the air travel the same distance?

I think the question is worded poorly, I'm quite sure they are asking for the time between the captain hearing the water echo and the air echo. ie the difference in round trip time, not the difference in 'return' time.
ie
How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return to the boat?
(incorrectly implying what comes out of the horn is already an echo..)
rather than
How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return from the cliff?
(correctly implying the echo forms at the cliff)

Although the former is misleading,I think it's the correct interpretation.

So is my previous answer wrong? If so I did it again without doing the whole dividing by 2 thing:
v = Δd/Δt

Δd = v Δt = (1470 m/s) (0.40 s) = 588 m

Δt = Δd/v= 588 m / 340 m/s = 1.73 s

Δt = 1.73 s – 0.40 s = 1.33 s

The echo in the air took 1.33 s longer to return.

Is this a better answer?

Likes Nestory
Do you still have to ask ? What do you think yourself ?

Re Billy's ambiguity: same wording for both routes makes the answer correct one way and the other way as well :smile: .

so wat is the correct answer, 1.33s or 0.46s?

Pls reply soon!

(I have the same question and I'm having trouble with it..)

bilalsyed25 said:
so wat is the correct answer, 1.33s or 0.46s?

Pls reply soon!

(I have the same question and I'm having trouble with it..)
No, you have to say what you think the answer is, and why.

The Question:
A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water (1470 m/s) and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously. The echo in the water takes 0.40s to return. How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return?

Relevent equations: v=d/t

My answer:
d = v∆t

d = 1470*0.40

d = 588/2 (I checked online for this question, some ppl got different answers due to this part; 558/2 or just 588?)

d = 294m

294/340 = 0.86s

0.86-0.40 = 0.46

Additional time = 0.46s

bilalsyed25 said:
d = 588/2 (I checked online for this question, some ppl got different answers due to this part; 558/2 or just 588?)
It depends how you define d. You can choose to define it as the distance from boat to cliff or as the distance for the return trip (which is, after all the distance traveled by the sound). Either will work as long as you use it consistently.
Think about your own working with respect to that. At each calculation, what is the description of the distance or time you have calculated?

Evangeline101 said:
So is my previous answer wrong? If so I did it again without doing the whole dividing by 2 thing:
v = Δd/Δt

Δd = v Δt = (1470 m/s) (0.40 s) = 588 m

Δt = Δd/v= 588 m / 340 m/s = 1.73 s

Δt = 1.73 s – 0.40 s = 1.33 s

The echo in the air took 1.33 s longer to return.

Is this a better answer?
Yes that's so right i also got that answer

1. How do you calculate the additional time for an echo to return in air?

To calculate the additional time for an echo to return in air, you will need to know the speed of sound in air and the distance between the sound source and the reflecting surface. The formula for calculating the additional time is: time = (2 * distance) / speed of sound. This formula assumes that the sound wave travels to the reflecting surface and back to the source, resulting in the additional time for the echo to return.

2. What is the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature and normal atmospheric pressure. However, this value can vary depending on factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity. Additionally, the speed of sound is affected by the density and composition of the medium it is traveling through.

3. Can the distance between the sound source and the reflecting surface affect the additional time for an echo to return?

Yes, the distance between the sound source and the reflecting surface does affect the additional time for an echo to return. As the distance increases, the additional time also increases. This is because the sound wave has to travel a longer distance to reach the reflecting surface and return to the source.

4. How is the speed of sound in air affected by temperature?

The speed of sound in air is directly proportional to the temperature of the air. This means that as the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because as air molecules gain thermal energy, they move faster and can transmit sound waves more quickly.

5. Why is it important to calculate the additional time for an echo to return in air?

Calculating the additional time for an echo to return in air is important for various reasons. It can be useful in determining the distance between the sound source and the reflecting surface, which is important in fields such as architecture, engineering, and acoustics. Additionally, understanding the concept of echo and its behavior in different environments can also help in noise reduction and improving sound quality in various settings.