Calculate an integral using euler substituition.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the integral \int\frac{dx}{x+\sqrt{x^2-x+1}} using Euler substitution. The speaker explains their method and gets stuck, so they try to check their work using a math integrator tool. However, the integrator states that there is no formula for this integral. The speaker then continues to discuss their approach and suggests that it may be easier to solve in its current form.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i was asked to calculate the integral:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x+\sqrt{x^2-x+1}}[/tex] by using euler substituition (i.e, finding a line which intersects sqrt(x^2-x+1) through one point and then the equation of the line will be y-y0=t(x-x0) where (x0,y0) is one point of intersection, and then substituing x for a rational function of t.
i did so in this particular example but i got stuck.
so i tried to recheck it through mathworld's integrator, but it states there isn't such formula for this integral, is this correct?
obviously if it's integrator, so it must be. (-:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd do it this way, let t, such that:
[tex]\sqrt{x ^ 2 - x + 1} = t - x \quad (1)[/tex] or stated differently [tex]t = x + \sqrt{x ^ 2 - x + 1}[/tex]

Now, we'll square both sides of (1):
[tex]\Rightarrow x ^ 2 - x + 1 = t ^ 2 - 2xt + x ^ 2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow - x + 1 = t ^ 2 - 2xt[/tex]

Isolate x's to one side, and we'll try to express x in terms of t:
[tex]\Rightarrow - x + 2xt = t ^ 2 - 1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x (2t - 1) = t ^ 2 - 1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x = \frac{t ^ 2 - 1}{2t - 1} \quad (2)[/tex]

Take the differential of both sides yields:

[tex]\Rightarrow dx = \frac{2 t ^ 2 -2t + 2}{(2t - 1) ^ 2} dt = 2 \frac{t ^ 2 - t + 1}{(2t - 1) ^ 2} dt \quad (3)[/tex]

Now substitute (1), (2), and (3) to your original integral, we'll have:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x + \sqrt{x ^ 2 - x + 1}} = 2 \int \frac{\frac{t ^ 2 - t + 1}{(2t - 1) ^ 2} dt}{t} = 2 \int \frac{t ^ 2 - t + 1}{(2t - 1) ^ 2 t} dt[/tex]
It looks much better than its original form, right?
Can you go from here? :)

Related to Calculate an integral using euler substituition.

1. What is Euler substitution?

Euler substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that involve a square root of a quadratic expression. It involves substituting the variable in the integral with a value derived from the quadratic expression.

2. When should I use Euler substitution?

Euler substitution is most useful when dealing with integrals of the form ∫√(ax^2 + bx + c) dx, where a, b, and c are constants. It is also helpful when the integral involves a trigonometric function.

3. How do I perform Euler substitution?

To perform Euler substitution, first identify the quadratic expression in the integral. Then, set the expression equal to u^2 and solve for u. Finally, substitute u into the integral and solve for the new variable.

4. What are the benefits of using Euler substitution?

Euler substitution can simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler substitution?

Yes, there are limitations to using Euler substitution. It may not work for all types of integrals, and sometimes the resulting integral may still be difficult to solve. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and solving quadratic equations.