Calculate angle between spacecraft & Sun vectors

Kovac
Homework Statement
Compute angle between space craft & sun vector
Relevant Equations
Hi, so I have no clue how to solve this problem but I started off by rewriting the issue as a dot product to find the angle. So;

cos(θ)= RSC⋅RSun / ∣RSC∣⋅∣RSun∣

Where Rsc = space crafts position vector.
Rsun is the Suns position vector.
∣RSC∣ is the length of the spacecrafts position vector.
∣RSun∣ is the length of the Suns position vector.

So in order to get the angle I planned to take arccosine.
But how do I get Rsun?

Is this a correct approach?
Am I doing something wrong or maybe theres a better approach to the problem?

sun_angle_task.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

It looks to me that you'll have to find the vector between the Earth's center and the Sun for the Julian date given (JD = 2460157.5). Perhaps your book will have a procedure to find this?

By the way, what is the book you're studying?

Kovac said:
Hi, so I have no clue how to solve this problem but I started off by rewriting the issue as a dot product to find the angle. So;

cos(θ)= RSC⋅RSun / ∣RSC∣⋅∣RSun∣

Where Rsc = space crafts position vector.
Rsun is the Suns position vector.
∣RSC∣ is the length of the spacecrafts position vector.
∣RSun∣ is the length of the Suns position vector.

So in order to get the angle I planned to take arccosine.
But how do I get Rsun?

Is this a correct approach?
Hi. Not my area but I'd say it's a (the?) correct approach.

A search for "find sun's ECI coordinates from Julian date epoch" gives some potentially useful results.

1. How do you calculate the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun?

To calculate the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun, you will need to know the positions of both objects in three-dimensional space. This can be achieved using data from the spacecraft's sensors and the Sun's known coordinates. From there, you can use trigonometry to determine the angle between the two vectors.

2. Why is it important to calculate the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun?

Knowing the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun is crucial for navigation and communication purposes. It allows scientists to accurately determine the spacecraft's orientation and position relative to the Sun, which is essential for maintaining proper communication and conducting scientific experiments.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the angle calculation between a spacecraft and the Sun?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the angle calculation, including errors in the spacecraft's sensor data, variations in the Sun's position due to its orbit, and interference from other celestial objects. It is important to account for these factors to ensure the accuracy of the calculation.

4. Can the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun change over time?

Yes, the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun can change over time due to the spacecraft's movement and the Sun's orbit. This change in angle is known as the spacecraft's relative motion and must be continuously monitored and adjusted for accurate calculations.

5. How is the angle between a spacecraft and the Sun used in spacecraft operations?

The angle between a spacecraft and the Sun is used in various spacecraft operations, such as navigation, communication, and solar power generation. By knowing the angle, scientists can determine the spacecraft's position and orientation, communicate with it effectively, and optimize its solar panels' positioning to maximize energy production.