Calculate Angle & Torque for Square Coil in Vertical Magnetic Field

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetics
In summary, a square coil made of a 0.1kg wire with a side length of 0.1m and carrying a 3.4A current is placed in a 0.01T magnetic field. To determine the angle of the coil in equilibrium, the equation mg = F = BILcos phi is used, where phi is the angle with respect to the vertical. However, the correct value for L to use in this equation is the perimeter of the square (0.4m) instead of the total length of the wire (4m). The angle is found to be 3.97deg. To find the torque acting on the coil at equilibrium, the answer from part a) is used in the
Pseudo Statistic
A long piece of wire with a mass of 0.1kg and a total length of 4m is used to make a square coil with a side of 0.1m. The coil is hinged along a horizontal side, carries a 3.4A current, and is placed in a vertical magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.01T.
a) Determine the angle that the plane of the coil makes with the vertical when the coil is in equilibrium.

For this part I was thinking, mg = F = BILcos phi, where phi is the angle with respect to the vertical...
phi = arccos (mg/BIL)
Now, I thought, "Which L can I use?" and I couldn't find the answer using different values.. can anyone please show me where I went wrong?

b) Find the torque acting on t he coil due to the magnetic force at equilibrium.
I'm guessing a) will give me what I need for this part.

The answers are:
a) 3.97deg
b) 3.39 x 10^-3 Nm

Thanks for any pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you account for multiple turns of the wire? (total length is 4 meters but the perimeter of the square is only 0.4 meters)

Isn't that only relevant to the torque?

The current runs through each loop and the total current interacts with the applied field.

1. How do you calculate the angle for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field?

To calculate the angle for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field, you will need to use the formula θ = tan^-1 (B/I), where θ is the angle, B is the magnetic field strength, and I is the current passing through the coil.

2. What is the torque equation for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field?

The torque equation for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field is τ = NIABsinθ, where τ is the torque, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current passing through the coil, A is the area of the coil, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the coil and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the angle and torque of a square coil in a vertical magnetic field?

The angle and torque of a square coil in a vertical magnetic field are affected by the current passing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, the area of the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. Other factors such as the shape and size of the coil can also have an impact.

4. How can I increase the torque of a square coil in a vertical magnetic field?

To increase the torque of a square coil in a vertical magnetic field, you can increase the current passing through the coil, increase the number of turns in the coil, increase the area of the coil, or increase the strength of the magnetic field. However, it is important to note that increasing the current too much can cause the coil to overheat and potentially damage it.

5. What is the significance of calculating the angle and torque for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field?

Calculating the angle and torque for a square coil in a vertical magnetic field is important for understanding the behavior of the coil in this specific setup. It can also be used to design and optimize the coil for specific applications, such as in electric motors or generators. Additionally, this calculation can provide insight into the relationship between current, magnetic field, and force in electromagnetism.