Correct statement about coils moving in and out of a magnetic field

In summary, Option A is correct. Using Lenz's law, the direction of current flowing in coil 1 is counter clockwise while in coil 2 is clockwise.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see "attempt at a solution"
Relevant Equations
Fleming left hand rule
Fleming right hand rule
Faraday's law
Lenz's law
F = BIL sin θ
Untitled.png

Option B is correct. Using Lenz's law, the direction of current flowing in coil 1 is counter clockwise while in coil 2 is clockwise.

Option A is correct. Using Fleming's left hand rule, the resultant magnetic force acting on the both coils is to the left.

I am not sure about option C and D. I think the answer is D because coil 2 is moving out of the magnetic field so variable L of the formula F = BIL sin θ decreases therefore to maintain constant speed it has to maintain constant value of F by increasing the induced current. Am I correct?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct but for the wrong reasons. Your formula only applies to coils rotating in a homogeneous magnetic field.
The induction is proportional to the change in flux through the coils. Apart from the velocity and the magnetic field strength inside the field (both are constant), what changes? What is a geometrical property that is proportional to this change? Is it increasing or decreasing for coil 1 and 2?

Likes songoku
mfb said:
Your answer is correct but for the wrong reasons. Your formula only applies to coils rotating in a homogeneous magnetic field.
The induction is proportional to the change in flux through the coils. Apart from the velocity and the magnetic field strength inside the field (both are constant), what changes? What is a geometrical property that is proportional to this change? Is it increasing or decreasing for coil 1 and 2?
Current is induced in both coils because there's is change in magnetic flux caused by change in area of coil inside the magnetic field. Area of coil 2 decreases while area of coil 1 increases but induced current is proportional to the rate of change of the area and I am not sure how to determine the rate of change of area.

songoku said:
Current is induced in both coils because there's is change in magnetic flux caused by change in area of coil inside the magnetic field. Area of coil 2 decreases while area of coil 1 increases but induced current is proportional to the rate of change of the area and I am not sure how to determine the rate of change of area.
Move each coil a small displacemen in the picture, stop & look at the respective areas of the slivers left behind. Which is the bigger area?

Likes Delta2, songoku and mfb
rude man said:
Move each coil a small displacemen in the picture, stop & look at the respective areas of the slivers left behind. Which is the bigger area?
I see. I think the rate of change of area of coil 2 will increase at first then decrease so the magnitude of induced current will also undergo same change (increase then decrease), while rate of change of area 1 decreases means that option C is correct.

Am I correct? Thanks

Right.
The magnitude of the change is linked to the height of the coil at the edge of the magnetic field.

Likes songoku
I have one more question

mfb said:
Your formula only applies to coils rotating in a homogeneous magnetic field.

I never know F = BIL sin θ is for rotating coil. I thought it is for current - carrying wire put in magnetic field and θ is angle between B and direction of current. Should the wire rotate to experience magnetic force?

Ah, I misinterpreted your equation. Well, the concept is very similar.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help mfb and rude man

I also agree that options A-C are correct, hence leaving option D as the only false option but I got one question:

How you were able to determine that the rate of change of surface for coil 1 is a decreasing function without going into detailed calculations (expressing the area as a function of the distance that the coil is inside the B-field area and then taking the derivative of that assuming that distance is a function of ##ct## where c the constant velocity with which each coil is moving)?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
I have one more question
I never know F = BIL sin θ is for rotating coil. I thought it is for current - carrying wire put in magnetic field and θ is angle between B and direction of current. Should the wire rotate to experience magnetic force?
If there is current in the coil the answer is no. Your formula F = BIL sin θ applies.
But if you want to generate a current in the coil then it would have to move (emf = -d##\phi##/dt with ##\phi## changing with time by virtue of the rotating coil.

The two concepts are basically different. F = BIL sin θ is based on the Lorentz magnetic force on moving charge whereas the emf formula above rests on one of Maxwell's equations as first formulated by Faraday.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
I also agree that options A-C are correct, hence leaving option D as the only false option but I got one question:

How you were able to determine that the rate of change of surface for coil 1 is a decreasing function without going into detailed calculations (expressing the area as a function of the distance that the coil is inside the B-field area and then taking the derivative of that assuming that distance is a function of ##ct## where c the constant velocity with which each coil is moving)?
Bu using help in post #4. Draw the area entering the magnetic field every 1 mm and I see the area entering the magnetic field is decreasing

rude man said:
If there is current in the coil the answer is no. Your formula F = BIL sin θ applies.
But if you want to generate a current in the coil then it would have to move (emf = -d##\phi##/dt with ##\phi## changing with time by virtue of the rotating coil.

The two concepts are basically different. F = BIL sin θ is based on the Lorentz magnetic force on moving charge whereas the emf formula above rests on one of Maxwell's equations as first formulated by Faraday.
Haven't learned about Maxwell's equation but I think I get the general idea

Likes Delta2
songoku said:
Bu using help in post #4. Draw the area entering the magnetic field every 1 mm and I see the area entering the magnetic field is decreasing

Haven't learned about Maxwell's equation but I think I get the general idea
You'll get Faraday's law first, if you haven't already.
The Maxwell equations include Faraday but also extend relationships between E and B fields and form the basis of electromagnegic waves. They are truly marvelous; I hope you encounter them.

Likes songoku

What is the principle behind the movement of coils in and out of a magnetic field?

The principle behind this movement is known as electromagnetic induction. When a conductor, such as a coil, moves in and out of a magnetic field, it experiences a change in magnetic flux. This change in flux induces an electric current in the coil, which then creates a force that causes the coil to move.

How does the direction of the coil's movement relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the coil's movement is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current induced in the coil. This is known as Fleming's right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, the palm will face the direction of the resulting force on the coil.

What factors affect the strength of the induced current in the coil?

The strength of the induced current in the coil depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the coil moves in and out of the field, and the number of turns in the coil. A stronger magnetic field, faster movement, and more turns in the coil will result in a stronger induced current.

What are some real-world applications of coils moving in and out of a magnetic field?

Electromagnetic induction is used in various technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in everyday devices, such as wireless chargers, induction cooktops, and metal detectors. Additionally, the concept of coils moving in and out of a magnetic field is crucial in understanding the phenomenon of electromagnetic waves.

Can the movement of coils in and out of a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the movement of coils in and out of a magnetic field can be controlled by varying the strength of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the coil's movement, and the number of turns in the coil. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the induced current, making it a valuable tool in various scientific and technological applications.