Calculate Arclength of Parametric Curve

In summary, the formula for calculating the arclength of a parametric curve is: ∫a√[(dx/dt)2 + (dy/dt)2] dt, where a and b represent the starting and ending values of the parameter t, and dx/dt and dy/dt represent the derivatives of x and y with respect to t. The starting and ending values of the parameter t can be determined by looking at the given parametric equations for x and y. The arclength of a parametric curve cannot be negative and it will be measured in the same units as the x and y coordinates in the equations. It is not possible to calculate the arclength if the parametric equations are not given.
mill

Homework Statement

Calculate the arclength of the curve given parametrically by

##
x=2t^2,
y=\frac 8 5 \sqrt 3t^ \frac 5 2,
z=2t^3
##
for 0≤t≤2

Homework Equations

## S=∫ \sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Found derivative of each and input into equation.
## S=∫\sqrt((4t)^2 + (4\sqrt 3 t^ \frac 3 2 )^2 + (6t^2)^2) dt ##
2. ##S=∫\sqrt(16t^2 + 48t^3 + 36t^4) dt ##
3. ##S=∫2t \sqrt(4 + 12t + 9t^2) dt ##
4. Used complete the square

##=∫2t (t+ \frac 3 2 )dt ##

5. Integrated.
##[\frac 2 3 t^3 + \frac 3 2 t^2]##

Which evaluated becomes 34/3. The right answer is 24. I think I have the steps correct. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the arclength of the curve given parametrically by

##
x=2t^2,
y=\frac 8 5 \sqrt 3t^ \frac 5 2,
z=2t^3
##
for 0≤t≤2

Homework Equations

## S=∫ \sqrt(x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Found derivative of each and input into equation.
2. ##S=∫\sqrt(16t^2 + 48t^3 + 36t^4) dt ##
3. ##S=∫2t \sqrt(4 + 12t + 9t^2) dt ##
4. Used complete the square

=∫2t (t+ (3/2))dt

5. Integrated.
##[\frac 2 3 t^3 + \frac 3 2 t^2]##

Which evaluated becomes 34/3. The right answer is 24. I think I have the steps correct. Where did I go wrong?

You don't need to complete the square; ##4+12t+9t^2=(2+3t)^2## is already a perfect square.

Edit: Technically, ##16t^2 + 48t^3 + 36t^4=(4t+6t^2)^2## is also a perfect square. So you may have been able to omit a few steps if you had been on the lookout for the to happen.

gopher_p said:
You don't need to complete the square; ##4+12t+9t^2=(2+3t)^2## is already a perfect square.

Edit: Technically, ##16t^2 + 48t^3 + 36t^4=(4t+6t^2)^2## is also a perfect square. So you may have been able to omit a few steps if you had been on the lookout for the to happen.

Oh, I see. Thanks. I will keep the squares in mind. Although would ^ apply in cases where

## x^4 + x^3 + x##?

Also, if you have any insight into the original problem's answer, that would be awesome.

mill said:
Oh, I see. Thanks. I will keep the squares in mind.

It's a good thing to be aware of in these "math class" problems (as opposed to real-world problems) involving arc lengths and surface areas. After all, the problem has to be doable for the math students. Unfortunately the real world isn't so nice and tidy and prearranged for doability, and you get things like Elliptic Integrals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_integral) which aren't doable by elementary means.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that being on the lookout for perfect squares falls under the banner of "strategies for math students trying to solve standard problems in a math class" and isn't useful so much otherwise.

Although would ^ apply in cases where

## x^4 + x^3 + x##?

## x^4 + x^3 + x## is not a perfect square. One easy way to see that is to (1) note that squares of real numbers are always nonnegative, which means that "perfect-square polynomials" must be non-negative, and (2) recognize that ##(-1)^4+(-1)^3+(-1)=-1<0##. So that can't be a perfect square.

Another less clever but more algorithmic way to see that ## x^4 + x^3 + x## is not a perfect square is to see that, if it were, it would have to look something like ## x^4 + x^3 + x=(x^2+bx+c)^2## because it is a degree ##4## polynomial. If you were to FOIL out the RHS, the constant term would be ##c^2##. Since ## x^4 + x^3 + x## has no constant term (or rather it's constant term is ##0##), ##c=0##. Then you're left with (possibly) ## x^4 + x^3 + x=(x^2+bx)^2##, but there is no way to get an ##x## term from the RHS.

Also, if you have any insight into the original problem's answer, that would be awesome.

I'm not sure what you're asking me to do here. You seem to have access to an answers sheet which says that the arc length is ##24##. Given that the curve starts at ##(0,0,0)## and ends near ##(8,16,16)##, and seeing as how the straight line between ##(0,0,0)## and ##(8,16,16)## has length ##24##, I'd say ##24## is a good approximation to a lower bound at least.

I'm not sure what you're asking me to do here. You seem to have access to an answers sheet which says that the arc length is ##24##. Given that the curve starts at ##(0,0,0)## and ends near ##(8,16,16)##, and seeing as how the straight line between ##(0,0,0)## and ##(8,16,16)## has length ##24##, I'd say ##24## is a good approximation to a lower bound at least.

Sorry. I was asking if there is anything obviously wrong about my method of solving this. Evaluating, I am not getting 24. I am getting 34/3. Yes, I have access to the answers sheet but no solutions.

mill said:
Sorry. I was asking if there is anything obviously wrong about my method of solving this. Evaluating, I am not getting 24. I am getting 34/3. Yes, I have access to the answers sheet but no solutions.

You completed the square wrong. You need to factor out a 9 before completing the square (x^2 coefficient has to be 1). Also, the fraction should have been 2/3, not 3/2.

scurty said:
You completed the square wrong. You need to factor out a 9 before completing the square (x^2 coefficient has to be 1). Also, the fraction should have been 2/3, not 3/2.

I did factor out the 9, but I flipped the 2/3 by accident.

Still

##=∫2t (t+ \frac 2 3 )dt ##
##=∫2t^2 + \frac 4 3 t)dt ##
##=\frac 2 3 t^3 + \frac 2 3 t^2##

Evaluated at 2 is 8, not 24. Not sure at which step I went wrong.

Thanks. Got it. Using the (4t+6t^2) got to 24, so something in the complete the square must have went wrong.

1. What is the formula for calculating the arclength of a parametric curve?

The formula for calculating the arclength of a parametric curve is:
ab√[ (dx/dt)2 + (dy/dt)2 ] dt
Where a and b represent the starting and ending values of the parameter t, and dx/dt and dy/dt represent the derivatives of x and y with respect to t.

2. How do you determine the starting and ending values of the parameter t in the arclength formula?

The starting and ending values of the parameter t can be determined by looking at the given parametric equations for x and y. The value of t at the beginning of the curve will correspond to the starting point of the curve, and the value of t at the end of the curve will correspond to the ending point of the curve.

3. Can the arclength of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the arclength of a parametric curve cannot be negative. It represents the distance traveled along the curve, which is always a positive value.

4. Is there a specific unit for measuring arclength of a parametric curve?

The unit for measuring arclength of a parametric curve will depend on the units used for the x and y coordinates in the given parametric equations. For example, if the x and y coordinates are measured in meters, then the arclength will be measured in meters as well.

5. Can the arclength of a parametric curve be calculated if the parametric equations are not given?

No, the arclength of a parametric curve cannot be calculated without the parametric equations. The equations are needed to determine the derivatives of x and y with respect to t, which are crucial in the arclength formula.