Calculate Average Power: 60kg Woman Running Up 4m Stairs in 6s

In summary, a 60 kg woman runs up a flight of stairs with a rise of 4.0 m in 6.0 s. To find the average power supplied, you need to use the equation for power and work backwards. For the second problem, a 100 N force is applied to move a 45 kg cart across a 9.0 m level surface. The amount of work done by the 100 N force can be calculated by multiplying the force and distance. The correct answer is 900 J. In the third problem, the average power supplied is 392 Watts. The calculation involves finding the force and distance, and then dividing by the time.
wakejosh
not sure how to solve this, having trouble finding the equation I need in my book. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

A 60 kg woman runs up a flight of stairs having a rise of 4.0 m in
a time of 6.0 s. What
average power did she supply?

Physics news on Phys.org
wakejosh said:
not sure how to solve this, having trouble finding the equation I need in my book. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

A 60 kg woman runs up a flight of stairs having a rise of 4.0 m in
a time of 6.0 s. What
average power did she supply?
Find the equation for power, and work back from that.

and another one:

A horizontal force of 100 N is applied to move a 45 kg cart across
a 9.0 m level surface.
What amount of work is done by the 100 N force?

now with this one do I just do 100 N * 9.0 M = 900 J ? is this correct?

geoffjb said:
Find the equation for power, and work back from that.

60kg * 9.8 m/s/s = 588 N
ok so 588 N * 4 m = 5352 J

2352/6 s = 392 Watts

pretty sure that's it. am i right?

wakejosh said:
60kg * 9.8 m/s/s = 588 N
ok so 588 N * 4 m = 5352 J

2352/6 s = 392 Watts

pretty sure that's it. am i right?

You're right, except for mixing up the numbers. 588*4 = 2352. :smile:

yea.. that was a typo. thanks.

Related to Calculate Average Power: 60kg Woman Running Up 4m Stairs in 6s

What is a work problem in watts?

A work problem in watts is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done by a force in terms of watts, which is a unit of power. It is typically used to determine the amount of energy required to perform a certain task.

How do I solve a work problem in watts?

To solve a work problem in watts, you will need to know the amount of force applied and the distance over which the force is applied. Once you have this information, you can use the formula W = F x d to calculate the work done in joules. Then, use the formula P = W / t to convert the work into watts by dividing it by the time it takes to perform the task.

What is the unit of measurement for watts?

Watts is a unit of power, which is defined as the rate at which work is done. It is equivalent to one joule per second and is often used to measure the amount of energy consumed or produced by a device or system.

Can watts be negative in a work problem?

Yes, watts can be negative in a work problem. This would indicate that the force applied is in the opposite direction of the movement, resulting in a negative work done. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the watts in order to accurately interpret the results of the problem.

What are some real-life examples of work problems in watts?

Some real-life examples of work problems in watts include calculating the amount of power needed to lift an object, to push a car up a hill, or to power a lightbulb. It can also be used to determine the amount of energy required to run a machine or perform a physical task, such as lifting weights or climbing stairs.