Need help with a problem involving work and calories

In summary, the person in the conversation is trying to calculate how many food calories they need to consume to run up a flight of stairs with a mass of 70 kg and a vertical height of 6 m, assuming an efficiency of 10%. They calculated the work to be 4116J and converted it to ~9830 food calories. However, the answer key stated it should be 9.9 calories, not kilocalories.
shuman0101

Homework Statement

A person whose mass is 70 kg runs up a flight of stairs through a vertical height of 6 m. If she uses her food with an efficiency of 10%, how many food calories does she have to consume to do this work?

Homework Equations

P.E=mgh=W

(Output/input)*100 = Efficiency

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that mgh=w because there is not kinetic energy at the top, so I just solved for mgh and got 4116J. I converted that into calories and found the input using the formula above, an I got ~9830 cals. When I looked at the answer key it said 9.9 cals( not Kcals)

Physics news on Phys.org
A food calorie is a Kcal. (You can look it up.)

What is work in terms of calories?

Work in terms of calories refers to the amount of energy required to perform a physical task. This can include activities such as exercising, lifting objects, or even just daily activities like walking or standing.

How are work and calories related?

Work and calories are directly related, as the amount of work or physical activity you do requires a certain number of calories to be burned. The more work you do, the more calories you will burn.

How do I calculate the number of calories burned during a specific activity?

The number of calories burned during a specific activity can be calculated by multiplying the metabolic equivalent (MET) value of the activity by your body weight in kilograms and the duration of the activity in hours. This will give you an estimate of the number of calories burned.

What is the recommended daily calorie intake for an average adult?

The recommended daily calorie intake for an average adult is approximately 2000-2500 calories per day. This may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and activity level.

How does work and calorie intake affect weight management?

In order to maintain a healthy weight, it is important to balance the amount of work or physical activity you do with your calorie intake. If you consume more calories than you burn, you may gain weight, and if you burn more calories than you consume, you may lose weight. It is important to find a balance that works for your body and lifestyle.