Design phototransistor circuit

In summary, the circuit should have a resistor in series with the phototransistor to change the voltage output.
ihggin

Homework Statement

Use the following phototransistor (http://www.vishay.com/docs/81532/bpw96.pdf) to design a circuit that gives an output voltage of 8 V when irradiance is 0.05 mW/cm^2 and 1 V when irradiance is 1 mW/cm^2 (both at wavelength 950 nm).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that Fig. 5 on page 421 of the spec sheet is useful? My best guess would be to trace the desired voltage onto the appropriate irradiance curve and then find the matching collector current? I haven't had any background with transistors and am pretty uncertain as to what kind of elements the circuit should even contain (op amps?, resistors?). A conceptual explanation of what is going on would be much appreciated. (Btw I searched the web for explanations of phototransistors, etc. but nothing made too much sense to me.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied load lines? If so, could you apply that to figure 5 ?

You would need to mark both points on the graph and then draw a line through them to the axes.

The slope of this line gives the size of the resistor you would put in series with the phototransistor, and the supply voltage is given by the intercept on the horizontal axis.

Thanks for the help. I haven't studies load lines before, but I just read the wiki, and it mostly makes sense now.

Just a clarifying question though: in the Fig. 5 plot, the slope that gives resistance shouldn't be of the line on the log-log graph, right? (I'm pretty sure this is the case, since the units wouldn't even work out, but I'm just wondering a bit why they give a log-log plot.)

Yes, I think you would have to move the graph to some linear graph paper.

You only need the two intercept points, so you don't need to move everything across.

You could also just calculate the size of the series resistor needed and work out the supply voltage from there.

It is not easy to get the actual currents from that graph, either, because it is hard to work out the meaning of the scales on the axes. I took it to mean 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.

I tried it and got the slope of the line between the points and then applied this slope to the small triangle on the bottom RHS of the graph. This gave a small extra voltage which I had to add to the 8 volts to get the supply voltage.

Working it out with Ohms Law was easier, though. Calculate the size of the resistor from the changes in voltage and current at the 8 Volt and 1 Volt points, then work out the voltage across that resistor with 0.2 mA and 4 mA (or whatever you read from the graph as the currents).
Add this to 8 volts and 1 volt respectively to get the supply voltage. This should be the same in each case.

Okay, thanks again for the help! (I used Ohm's law and it worked out fine enough.)

Related to Design phototransistor circuit

1. How does a phototransistor work?

A phototransistor is a type of semiconductor device that converts light energy into electrical energy. It is made up of a light-sensitive material, typically silicon, and two electrodes. When light falls on the material, it creates electron-hole pairs, which can then be amplified by the transistor, resulting in a flow of current between the electrodes.

2. What is the purpose of a phototransistor circuit?

A phototransistor circuit is used to detect and amplify light signals. It can be used in a variety of applications such as light sensors, optical communication systems, and photovoltaic cells. The circuit typically consists of a phototransistor, biasing resistors, and a load resistor.

3. How do I choose the appropriate phototransistor for my circuit?

There are several factors to consider when selecting a phototransistor, including the wavelength of light to be detected, sensitivity, response time, and maximum current and voltage ratings. It is important to match the phototransistor specifications to the requirements of your circuit to ensure optimal performance.

4. Can I use a phototransistor circuit in low light conditions?

Yes, phototransistor circuits are designed to work in low light conditions. However, the sensitivity of the phototransistor may vary depending on the ambient light levels. It is important to choose a phototransistor with a high sensitivity for low light applications.

5. How do I protect my phototransistor circuit from ambient light interference?

A common method to protect a phototransistor circuit from ambient light interference is to use a bandpass filter. This filter only allows a specific range of wavelengths to pass through, blocking out unwanted ambient light. Another option is to use a shield or cover to physically block out light sources that may interfere with the circuit.