Calculate current through resistors

In summary: Have you studied the Kirchhoff voltage and current laws yet?Yes, I have studied the Kirchhoff voltage and current laws.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
Find the currents I1 and I2 through the resistors R1 and R2
Relevant Equations
U = I*R
I'm trying to grasp the basics here, we know Us = 70 V and I want to find out the currents I1 and I2 through the resistors R1, respectively R2. I just need the steps explained, not necessarily the results, please. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot (538).png
    Screenshot (538).png
    7 KB · Views: 117
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write the KCL equation for that middle node where all 3 resistors come together? There's an easier way to do this, but it's good to be sure you understand the basics of using KCL equations to solve for circuit node voltages...

Have you studied the Kirchhoff voltage and current laws yet?
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/dccircuits/dcp_4.html

If you set V as a variable could you find the current through R1 given V and Us? What about R2?

I think this is it, right?

[Mentor Note -- Added improved version of dark picture]
Dark02.jpg

Attachments

• 20210310_130403.jpg
    20210310_130403.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Andrei0408 said:
It's a bit hard to read, but I Think it's correct.
Now, if you knew V, you could compute all those currents, so you can use that equation to find V.

Andrei0408 said:

[Mentor Note -- Added improved version of dark picture]View attachment 279526
I touched up your dark picture for you. To type your work into the PF, please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you to post your equations and work in a legible way, and make it easier for us to help you. Thanks. :smile:

Sorry about the picture, could you tell me how to find V from this equation? I'm thinking about Ohm's law but I don't know the voltage through the 2 resistors

Andrei0408 said:
could you tell me how to find V from this equation?
Have you used KCL before? As you indicated, you write the equations for each node, with the sum of the currents leaving the node equal to zero.

In the circuit you have above, label the unknown voltage of the center node ##V_n## and then for each branch, you write the branch current in the form:

$$\frac{V_n - V_x}{R_x}$$

where ##V_x## is the voltage of the node on the far side of the resistor ##R_x##. There are 3 branches leaving that node in your circuit, so you add each of those currents up and set the sum equal to zero. Then just solve the equation for the voltage ##V_n## and that determines all of the currents.

Give that a try? :smile:

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the current through a resistor?

The current through a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). The formula is I = V/R.

2. What units are used to measure current?

The SI unit for current is the ampere (A). In electronic circuits, milliamps (mA) or microamps (μA) are commonly used.

3. Can the current through a resistor change?

Yes, the current through a resistor can change depending on the voltage applied and the resistance of the resistor. As the voltage increases, the current will also increase, and vice versa.

4. How do I calculate the total current in a circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the total current in a circuit with multiple resistors, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction. This means that the total current in a series circuit is the same at all points, while in a parallel circuit, the total current is divided among the branches based on the resistance of each branch.

5. What is the relationship between current and resistance?

The relationship between current and resistance is inverse. This means that as resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance restricts the flow of current, while a lower resistance allows more current to flow.