Calculate E cell for the following reaction at 25deg celcius

In summary, the student calculated the E cell for the following reaction at 25 degrees Celsius. They looked it up in a handbook and found that the reaction has a \mathcal{E} of +1.679. They also found that one half of the reaction occurs in each of two cells and that the final result is an EMF.
Biggins1
Member has been warned not to delete the template.

Homework Statement

Calculate E cell for the following reaction at 25deg celcius

3 CU(s) + 2 MnO4-(aq) + 8 H+(aq) →2 MnO2(s) + 3 CU^2+(aq) + 4 H2O(l)

Given: [CU^2+] = 0.010M, [MnO4-] = 2.0M, [H+] = 1.0M

I’ve posted a picture of my work, if someone could just let me know if I answered the question correctly and if not guide me as to how to correctly complete the problem. Thank you!

Attachments

• 5898E298-D6B6-47EB-997F-E23FCA4F6153.jpeg
    5898E298-D6B6-47EB-997F-E23FCA4F6153.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 667
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:You need to keep the homework template in place on homeworks please. Also welcome to PF.
I needed to review this material=I had it 40+ years ago in a chemistry sequence.
You didn't show all of the work.
For ## MnO_4^- ##, I looked it up in a handbook and got ## MnO_4^-+4H^++3e^- \rightarrow MnO_2+2H_2O ## has ## \mathcal{E}=+1.679 ## ## \\ ## ## Cu \rightarrow Cu^{++}+2e^- ## has ## \mathcal{E}=-.340 ##. ## \\ ## I think the EMF for the whole process is just the sum of these, with each the whole reaction being the result of what is going on in each half-cell. I think you can then apply the Nernst equation to get the result when the concentrations are different from 1.0 M. ## \\ ## Your notes are rather difficult to read=please try to be a little neater and show more of the work. Also, I'm showing more than I normally would to a student because I am on a little bit of a learning curve here, having to relearn something that was even somewhat tricky 40+ years ago. ## \\ ## Edit: One thing puzzles me here=the final answer is supposed to be an EMF, but there are no electrons transferred in the complete reaction. I believe I added the half reactions together properly, and the numbers I got from the CRC handbook are correct. It looks to me like one half-reaction is taking place in each of two cells. Perhaps this last part is assumed, but they could have been more clear in the statement of the problem. ## \\ ## Additional editing: I did some review of the book University Chemistry by Mahan. And apparently the reaction proceeds in the forward direction, but the ## H^+ ## takes time to react with the ## MnO_4^- ##, and it takes time for the ## Cu^{++} ## to enter the solution, (being originally in the form of a ## Cu ## electrode), for the reaction to occur. ## \\ ## Perhaps @Chestermiller and/or @Borek can provide some helpful inputs. Edit: I think I have it figured out=(it took a little work, but I think I solved it correctly). ## \\ ## Editing: @Biggins1 Upon further study of your notes, your answer looks correct, and is in agreement with the answer that I got. :smile: ## \\ ## Additional note: The lowest line on your notes should read: ## 2MnO_4^-+8H^++6e^- \rightarrow 2MnO_2+4H_2O=(MnO_4^-+4H^++3e^- \rightarrow MnO_2+2H_2O )## x ##2 ##, in order to arrive at the ## z=6 ## in the Nernst equation. (You incorrectly have ## 3e^- ## in the same equation that has ## 8H^+ ##). Also, one more minor correction: you wrote ## [Cu^{++}]^2 ## instead of ## [Cu^{++}]^3 ##, but you correctly wrote ## (.01)^3 ## when you computed it in the next line. ## \\ ## One additional suggestion would be to call the EMF's ## \mathcal{E}_{cell}^o ## and ## \mathcal{E}_{cell} ## to distinguish the two. Initially, it was very difficult to follow what you were trying to compute.

Last edited:

1. What is E cell?

E cell refers to the standard cell potential, also known as the standard electromotive force (EMF), of a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the energy difference between the reactants and products in a redox reaction.

2. How is E cell calculated?

E cell can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the standard electrode potentials of the half-reactions involved in the redox reaction, as well as the concentrations of the reactants and products.

3. What is the significance of calculating E cell?

Calculating E cell allows us to determine the direction and strength of a redox reaction. It also provides insight into the feasibility and spontaneity of a reaction, as well as the amount of electrical energy that can be generated.

4. What units are used for E cell?

E cell is typically measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV).

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of E cell calculations?

The accuracy of E cell calculations can be affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of impurities or other interfering substances in the reaction solution. Additionally, any errors in measuring concentrations or standard electrode potentials can also impact the accuracy of the calculated E cell value.