Calculate E cell for the following reaction at 25deg celcius

In summary, the equation for calculating E cell is E cell = E cathode - E anode, where E cathode is the reduction potential of the cathode and E anode is the oxidation potential of the anode. The reduction potential of the cathode can be found in a standard reduction potential table, while the oxidation potential of the anode can be calculated by reversing the sign of the reduction potential. Calculating E cell allows us to determine the voltage or potential difference of an electrochemical cell, which can provide information about the spontaneity and direction of a chemical reaction. To calculate E cell at a specific temperature, you can use the Nernst equation, which takes into account the temperature dependence of the reduction potential. Yes
Biggins1

Homework Statement

2 IO3−(aq) + 6 H+(aq) + 10 I−(aq) →6 I2(s) + 6 H2O(l)

I didn’t want to re-type all of this up but I uploaded of picture of my work for this problem. I was just wondering if I completed it correctly and if not if someone could guide me in the right direction. Thank you!

Attachments

• E4F2D92D-253F-4F13-A551-26FB14636A4C.jpeg
    E4F2D92D-253F-4F13-A551-26FB14636A4C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 658
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try balancing the reaction for starters, charge conservation and other details.

1. What is the equation for calculating E cell?

The equation for calculating E cell is E cell = E cathode - E anode, where E cathode is the reduction potential of the cathode and E anode is the oxidation potential of the anode.

2. How do you determine the reduction potential of the cathode and the oxidation potential of the anode?

The reduction potential of the cathode can be found in a standard reduction potential table, while the oxidation potential of the anode can be calculated by reversing the sign of the reduction potential.

3. What is the significance of calculating E cell?

Calculating E cell allows us to determine the voltage or potential difference of an electrochemical cell, which can provide information about the spontaneity and direction of a chemical reaction.

4. How do you calculate E cell at a specific temperature?

To calculate E cell at a specific temperature, you can use the Nernst equation, which takes into account the temperature dependence of the reduction potential.

5. Can E cell be negative?

Yes, E cell can be negative if the anode has a higher reduction potential than the cathode. This indicates a non-spontaneous reaction and a reverse direction of electron flow.