Calculate Energy consumption by the adapter from its rating

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total energy consumed by a LAN switch in one month. The input and output ratings of the switch are provided, and the individual attempts at calculating the energy consumption are explained. It is concluded that the power supply specifications do not accurately reflect the actual energy used by the switch, and a more conservative estimate is given.
kverma
I want to calculate the total energy consumed by my lan switch in one month.
It has a AC adapter with rating-->
Input = 100-240V ~ 0.6A
Output = 5V - 1500 mA
Note:First I will calculate in joules then convert it in kWh.
At first, i was considering calculating using the input rating so the formula goes,
E = I2Rt
E = IVt ...as V=IR
I = 0.6A
V=240V(230-240V in India)
t = 60 x 60 x 24 x 30 (for a month )
Therefore,
E = 240 x 0.6 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 30
E = 124416000 J
E = 103.68 kWh
And this is not possible as it is too much.
It will cost me around Rs.777.6 and by total bill is Rs.3000.
How is it possible?
Should I take the output rating or i am correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rating on the adapter tells you the maximum current it can supply (0.6A); but the switch is probably not drawing anywhere near that much. If you want to know how much power is used by the switch you have to look in the specifications for the switch itself, not the adapter.

Welcome to PF!

First, your procedure was a bit more complicated than necessary: you had Watts and wanted [kilo]Watt hours, so there was no need to multiply by 60x60 to get Joules and then divide by 60x60 to convert back to watts. Somehow there is an error in that intermediate step (12 MJ is wrong: you didn't multiply by 30), but the 103.68 kW is "correct".

Now, what does it mean? Is it high?

Yes, it is too high. A few reasons:
1. The device probably runs at a fraction of peak load. Figure half.
2. Inductive loads (the power supply) are subject to power factor, which makes the wattage calculation too high. Again, figure half.
3. The first part of the power supply circuitry is probably a bit like a transformer, so higher voltage means lower amperage to satisfy conservation of energy. So you should reduce the result by another 100/240.

So that leaves you with about 10.8 kWh.

Compare that with the output: 5.4 kWh.

Since I could see the efficiency being 50% or less, those numbers match-up pretty well. 10.8 kWh would be my conservative estimate.

What is energy consumption?

Energy consumption refers to the amount of energy used to power a device or system. It is typically measured in units of kilowatt-hours (kWh) or joules (J).

What is the rating of an adapter?

The rating of an adapter refers to the amount of power it is designed to deliver. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) and is usually labeled on the adapter itself.

How do I calculate energy consumption by an adapter?

To calculate energy consumption by an adapter, you will need to know the adapter's rating (in watts) and the amount of time it has been in use. You can then use the formula Energy (kWh) = Power (W) x Time (hours) to determine the energy consumption.

Why is it important to calculate energy consumption by an adapter?

Calculating energy consumption by an adapter can help you understand how much energy is being used by the devices you have plugged into it. This can help you make more informed decisions about energy usage and potentially save money on your electricity bill.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the energy consumption calculation?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of the energy consumption calculation. These include the efficiency of the adapter (some energy is lost as heat during the conversion process), the variability of the device's power usage, and any standby or idle power consumption of the device.