Calculate G-Force & Deceleration for 4500kg Object Moving @ 5kph

In summary: You are amazing!In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Gforce and decceleration for an object weighing 4500kg and traveling at 5kph before stopping in 15cm. They also discuss the impact force of the object if it was stopped via collision and the area of contact. The conversation ultimately seeks help in solving the equations and verifying the accuracy of the calculations.
exalto1
Hello...

If an object weighs 4500kg and travels @ 5kph (138cm/s) then stops in 15cm:

what is Gforce?

Decceleration?

Also, if object was stopped via a collision and if contact face is 100cmx15cm then what is impact force kg/sq.cm?

This information is really important to me for a professional argument that may save my job so ANY help/resources would be immensely appreciated.

Yes I did have an accident at work... :redface:

My only defence is going to have to be with cold science.

At 36, my algebra has rusted through as this is the first time I've had to find "x" so really need some whizzy help.

Thanks to anyone kind enough to help.

David

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If something travels with the initial velocity V...
1.38m/s

and then stops over the distance L,.....
0.15m

then, assuming constant decelleration,

L = V^2/2a.........

0.15m=1.38m^2/2 x 6.348
0.15=1.9044/12.696

where V - initial velocity
a - absolute value of decceleration.
V^2 means "V squared"

From this, you can find

a = V^2/2L......... ...

a=1.38m^2/0.30m
a=6.348m/s

From the Newton's law,

a = F/M.......... ...

6.348m/s=28566n/4500kg

where F is the force that acted during the slowdown and M is the mass.

We then have

F = MV^2/2L.......

4500kg x 1.38m/s^2 /2 x 0.15m
4500 x 1.9044 / 0.30m
8569.8/0.30
F=28566n

Use M in kilograms, V in meters per second and L in meters. You'll get the force in Newtons.

I don't know what is Gforce.

Then the pressure is by definition the force divided by area. Diveide the force you've obtained by the area and you'll get pressure in Newtons per unit of area (whatever units you use)...

28566n/1.5m=19044n/sq m
or 1941.9kg/sq m

If someone could check this please I'd be grateful as I'm a little woozy with painkillers.

Thank you so very much.

Hi exalto1,

exalto1 said:
Then the pressure is by definition the force divided by area. Diveide the force you've obtained by the area and you'll get pressure in Newtons per unit of area (whatever units you use)...[/B]
28566n/1.5m=19044n/sq m
or 1941.9kg/sq m

I'm not sure about these numbers. The area in square meters is .15 m^2.

G-force is usually the acceleration measured in units of g=9.8 m/s^2.

Hello alphysicist...

Are these figures better:P = 28566N/1500cm^2=19.044N/cm^2 or
P =~1.94kg/cm^2 or
P=~19400kg/m^2

exalto1 said:
Hello alphysicist...

Are these figures better:

P = 28566N/1500cm^2=19.044N/cm^2 or
P =~1.94kg/cm^2 or
P=~19400kg/m^2

Your math look okay to me, if those are the units you want. Using kg/cm^2 for the pressure reminded me that a unit that some people use for force is the gram-force. I would think that's probably what they meant by Gforce, so your choice of mass/area as the units for pressure would be what they wanted.

Thank you so very much Al

Related to Calculate G-Force & Deceleration for 4500kg Object Moving @ 5kph

1. How do you calculate G-force for a 4500kg object moving at 5kph?

To calculate G-force, you need to first convert the speed from kilometers per hour to meters per second. To do this, divide 5kph by 3.6, which gives you a speed of 1.39 meters per second. Then, use the formula G-force = acceleration / gravitational constant. For a stationary object, the acceleration would be 0, so the G-force would also be 0. However, for a moving object, you need to calculate the deceleration first.

2. How do you calculate deceleration for a 4500kg object moving at 5kph?

To calculate deceleration, you need to use the formula acceleration = change in velocity / time. In this case, the change in velocity would be from 5kph to 0kph, which is a decrease of 5kph. The time can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled (in this case, it would be 0.69 meters) by the speed (1.39 meters per second). This gives you a deceleration of -7.25 meters per second squared.

3. What is the gravitational constant used in the G-force formula?

The gravitational constant, denoted by the symbol G, is a physical constant that is used in the calculation of G-force. It is equal to approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the G-force and deceleration?

The mass of an object does not affect the G-force or deceleration. These values depend on the acceleration, which is determined by the change in velocity and time. However, the force that the object exerts on other objects due to its mass, also known as weight, would increase as the mass increases.

5. Can G-force and deceleration be negative values?

Yes, G-force and deceleration can be negative values. This would indicate that the object is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction. For example, if a 4500kg object is moving at 5kph and then accelerates to 10kph, it would experience a positive G-force and acceleration. However, if it then decelerates back to 5kph, it would experience a negative G-force and deceleration. It is important to pay attention to the direction of motion when calculating G-force and deceleration.