Calculate Gauge Pressure on Sunken Ocean Liner

In summary, the principal researcher found the absolute pressure on the robot observation submarine to be 413 atmospheres while exploring a sunken ocean liner. The density of seawater is 1025-kg/m^3. To calculate the gauge pressure on the sunken ocean liner, the formula p = p_o + pgh can be used, where p_o is the atmospheric pressure and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Knowing the absolute pressure, p_o can be determined by subtracting it from the absolute pressure. Then, the depth of the wreck can be deduced by using the density of water.
cdhotfire
While exploring a sunken ocean liner, the principal researcher found hte absolute pressure on the robot observatino submarine at the level of the ship to be about 413 atmospheres. The density of seawater is [itex]1025-kg/m^3[/itex].

Calculate the gauge pressure [itex]p_g[/itex] on the sunken ocean liner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the problem, i have the formula:
[itex] p = p_{o} + p(to-lazy-to-look-up-density)gh[/itex]
I do not know which [itex]p[/itex] or [itex]p_o[/itex] but for the matter of making my point let's say, [itex]p_{o} = 413 at [/itex] or [itex] 41836900-Pa [/itex]. So
then:
[itex]p = 41836900-Pa + (1025-kg/m^{3})(9.81-m/s^{2})h[/itex]
So I've got [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] wish means, I have nothing. :uhh: .

Any ideas, would be appreciated. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand the relationship between gauge pressure and absolute pressure? This problem is a lot easier than you are making it out to be.

Yes, remember that absolute pressure is atmospheric pressure plus guage. The only information you will need for this problem is depth...and actually you could live with just depth and temperature, but depth and density/specific weight will be even easier.

minger said:
Yes, remember that absolute pressure is atmospheric pressure plus guage. The only information you will need for this problem is depth...and actually you could live with just depth and temperature, but depth and density/specific weight will be even easier.

Actually, you don't need that because you are given the absolute pressure in atmosperes: gauge pressure is absolute pressure minus atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure is "1 atomosphere" so ...

IF you are asked to deduce the depth of the wreck from that, then you will need to know the density of water. I presume that's the next question!

Just re-read the last post so I deleted.

Last edited:
Actually, yea, I didn't even read the initial problem. Yes, do what HallsofIvy said. Absolute = Atmospheric + Guage, and I hope you can figure out in atmospheres, what atmospheric prsesure is.

1. How do you calculate gauge pressure on a sunken ocean liner?

To calculate gauge pressure on a sunken ocean liner, you need to know the depth at which the liner is submerged. Then, you can use the formula P = ρgh, where P is the gauge pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid (in this case, seawater), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth.

2. What is the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is the total pressure at a specific point, including the effects of atmospheric pressure. In other words, gauge pressure is the difference between the total pressure and atmospheric pressure.

3. How does the depth of a sunken ocean liner affect the gauge pressure?

The depth of a sunken ocean liner is directly proportional to the gauge pressure. This means that the deeper the ocean liner is submerged, the higher the gauge pressure will be.

4. What units are used to measure gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). However, it can also be measured in other units such as bars, atmospheres, or millimeters of mercury.

5. Can gauge pressure be negative?

Yes, gauge pressure can be negative if the pressure at the submerged point is lower than atmospheric pressure. This can occur in situations such as at high altitudes or in a vacuum. Negative gauge pressure is often referred to as "vacuum pressure".