Calculate Intensity of Sound Waves at 3.0 m from Source

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intensity and intensity level of sound waves emitted from a small source at a distance of 3.0m. The intensity is found to be 0.71W/m and the intensity level is found to be 118.51. The conversation also mentions difficulty in finding the distance at which the intensity is one-fourth of the original value, with an attempted solution of 7.173. The expert provides a reminder to check arithmetic and calculations.
capudang

Homework Statement

A small source emits sound waves with a power output 80W.
a) find the intensity at a point 3.0m from the source. (0.71W/m)
b) find the intensity level at the same point as part a.(118.51)
c) at what distance would the intensity be one-fourth as much as of that part (a).

i have no problem finding the answer for a and b, but i did have a bit of problem in c. i have tried to answer it which i get r=7.173, but i don't know is it right or wrong. help me for C.

2. Homework Equations c

B=10log(I/Io)
Ia=P/4pie r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=p/4pie R^2

i get 7.173 after calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic. How much is pi? How much is R? How much is 4 pi R^2?

What is the formula for calculating the intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source?

The formula for calculating the intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source is I = P/(4πr²), where I is the intensity, P is the power of the sound source, and r is the distance from the source in meters.

How does the intensity of sound waves change as you move further away from the source?

The intensity of sound waves decreases as you move further away from the source. This is because the sound waves spread out and become less concentrated as they travel through space.

What factors can affect the intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source?

The intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source can be affected by factors such as the power of the source, the direction of the sound waves, and any obstructions or barriers in the path of the sound waves.

How is the intensity of sound waves measured at a distance of 3.0 m from the source?

The intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source is typically measured using a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level in decibels (dB) and can provide an accurate measurement of the intensity of sound waves.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source?

Calculating the intensity of sound waves at a distance of 3.0 m from the source can be useful in various real-world applications such as noise pollution measurement, sound engineering, and acoustic design for buildings and public spaces. It can also help in understanding the potential impact of loud noises on human health and the environment.