Calculate ionic concentration

In summary, the ionization constant of {(C_2 H_5)}_3 {N} is 6.4 x 10^(-5). When mixed with 0.01 M NaOH solution, the degree of dissociation in its 0.1 M solution is calculated to be 6.4 x 10^(-3). The book's answer is also 6.4 x 10^(-3).
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The ionization constant of ## {(C_2 H_5)}_3 {N}## is 6.4 x 10^(-5). Calculate degree of dissociation in its 0.1 M solution when it is mixed with 0.01 M NaOH solution.

2. The attempt at a solution
the compound gives ##{(C_2 H_5)}_3 {NH+}## and ##OH-##. C is initial concentration of compound=0.1 M and x as degree of dissociation- C*x is final concentration of ##{(C_2 H_5)}_3 {NH+}## and since NaOH is strong electrolyte 0.01 M OH- is present. Since x is small compared to 0.01 we take OH concentration as 0.01. Now (C*x)(0.01)=K. placing 0.1 as C we get x as 6.4 x 10^(-2). However the answer is 6.4 x 10^(-3). Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I totally forgot to write C in denominator. Silly me.

You are saying you now get the same answer as the book? I got the same answer so the book appears to be right. :oldsmile: Question phrasing a bit loose.

epenguin said:
You are saying you now get the same answer as the book? I got the same answer so the book appears to be right. :oldsmile: Question phrasing a bit loose.
yes, I did- thank you. I was just making a really silly mistake.

1. What is ionic concentration?

Ionic concentration refers to the measure of the amount of ions present in a solution. It is usually expressed in moles per liter (M) or millimoles per liter (mM).

2. How is ionic concentration calculated?

Ionic concentration can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of ions present in a solution by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. Why is ionic concentration important?

Ionic concentration is important because it affects the properties and behavior of a solution. It can determine the strength of an acid or base, the conductivity of a solution, and the solubility of compounds.

4. What factors can affect ionic concentration?

The factors that can affect ionic concentration include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions or molecules in the solution.

5. How can ionic concentration be adjusted?

Ionic concentration can be adjusted by diluting a solution with water or by adding solutes to a solution. It can also be controlled by changing the temperature or pressure of the solution.