Calculate Magnetic Field Between Two Wires: Help Needed

In summary: B_{mid}-B In summary, the person is trying to calculate the net magnetic field at a point midway between the two wires. They are using directions r to work out the fields. They are getting confused because the directions for current i are different depending on where you are in relation to the wire. They are also getting confused because they are missing a division sign.
waywardtigerlily
Ok, I have been working on this problem for about 2 hours now, and I still can't get the right answer..could someome help me?

two wires carry currents of I=5.12A in opposite directions and are separated by a distance of d0=9.33cm. (the wire on the left has I going up and the one on the right is going down) Calculate the net magnetic field at a point midway between the wires. Use the direction out of the page as the positive direction and into the page as the negative direction in your answer.

B. Calculate teh net magnetic field at point p1- that is 9.32 cm to the right of the wire on the right.

C. calculate the net magnetic field at point p2- that is 19.3 cm to the left of the wire on the left.

To calculate B. I am using:

BR=uoI
2pi (p1/2)

BR= (4pi x 10^-7)(5.12)
(2Pi)(.0466)

= 2.19742 x 10^-5 T

BL=uoI
2pi(p1+do)

BL= (4pi x 10^-7)(5.12)
2Pi(.1865)

Bnet= BR-BL
= 1.65 x 10 ^-5 T

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? I assume for C you would use the same procedure and for the main question you would just use Bnet= B1+B2
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BR=uoI2pi (p1/2)

You did not write the division sign. Looks like it's a typo.

Any way BR = UoI / 2pi (p1). where p1 = 9.31 cm. Rest of your calculations seems to be ok.

I am not sure what you are using for part a. You have to be careful with the directions r. Use:

(1)[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

For a., r1 = d0/2 and r2=-d0/2, so:

[tex]B_{mid} = \frac{\mu_0}{\pi d_0}I + \frac{\mu_0}{\pi (-d_0)}(-I) = \frac{2\mu_0}{\pi d_0}I[/tex]

For part b., r1 = d0 and r2 = 2d0 (ie. both positive) . When you work out the fields, you have to subtract them due to the different directions of the currents

For part c., r1 = -(d0 + 10) and r2 = -(2d0 + 10) (ie. both negative) . When you work out the fields, again you have to subtract them due to the different directions of the currents.

AM

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Magnetic Field Between Two Wires: Help Needed

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field between two wires?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field between two wires is: B = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is measured in Gauss (G).

3. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field between two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current in the first wire, then curl your fingers towards the second wire. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field between two wires be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the magnetic field between two wires to be zero. This occurs when the currents in the two wires are equal and flowing in opposite directions, and the wires are positioned at equal distances from each other.

5. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field decreases. Therefore, the magnetic field is strongest when the wires are positioned closer to each other.