Calculate Marginal Product from APL: 8 Workers Hired

In summary, the conversation discusses the function APL=\frac{\sqrt[4]{L}}{L} and the company's recent hiring of 8 workers. The question is how to find the marginal product of labor from the given average product. The speaker mentions that knowing the total product and differentiating it would lead to the marginal product, but the discussion centers around understanding the relationship between the average product and marginal product.
joe342
Consider the function APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{L}}{L}[/itex], where L is the number of workers. The company has just hired 8 workers. What is the marginal product of the labor?I know that if I had the total product I could differentiate it and get the marginal product, but it's the average product that is given.APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{8}}{8}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1,68}{8}[/itex]=0,21

How do I get to MP from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
joe342 said:
Consider the function APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{L}}{L}[/itex], where L is the number of workers. The company has just hired 8 workers. What is the marginal product of the labor?

I know that if I had the total product I could differentiate it and get the marginal product, but it's the average product that is given.

APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{8}}{8}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1,68}{8}[/itex]=0,21

How do I get to MP from here?

Please do not use undefined abbreviations. What is AP? What is MP? I might be able toe guess, but I should not have to!

Ray Vickson said:
Please do not use undefined abbreviations. What is AP? What is MP? I might be able toe guess, but I should not have to!
joe342 said:
I know that if I had the total product I could differentiate it and get the marginal product, but it's the average product that is given.

Im sorry, I thought I made it clear here. Average product of labor and marginal product of labor.

joe342 said:
Im sorry, I thought I made it clear here. Average product of labor and marginal product of labor.

OK, so what is the actual definition of average product of labor in terms of the marginal product function f(L)? Understanding that relationship is step 1 in the solution procedure.

1. What is marginal product?

Marginal product refers to the change in output that results from adding one more unit of input. It is a measure of the additional output produced per additional unit of input.

2. How is marginal product calculated?

The marginal product is calculated by dividing the change in total output by the change in the number of workers hired. In other words, it is the slope of the production function at a specific point.

3. What is average product of labor (APL)?

Average product of labor (APL) is the total output divided by the number of workers hired. It is a measure of the average productivity of each worker.

4. How is marginal product related to average product of labor?

The marginal product is the instantaneous change in the average product of labor. It is the additional output produced by adding one more unit of input, which affects the average product of labor.

5. How can the marginal product from APL be used in decision making?

The marginal product from APL can be used to determine the optimal number of workers to hire in order to maximize output and minimize costs. When the marginal product is greater than the average product, hiring more workers will increase output and vice versa.