Calculate Mass of 1L Ice @ -2°C: Density x Volume x Temperature

• Thread starter Isho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the mass of 1 litre of ice at a temperature of -2 Degrees Celsius, given the density of ice at that temperature. The conversation also touches on the concept of density and the relation between a litre, 1 mL, and 1 cm3. The person asking for help is new to the forum and is looking for an explanation on how to solve the problem.
Isho

Homework Statement

If the density of ice at -2 Degrees Celsius is 0.917 g cm to the power of negative cubed (-3), what would be the mass of 1 litre of ice at this temperature ?

Homework Equations

None ? I'm guessing H = M x C x T though?

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot attempt it. I was absent when My class did it so I have no idea how to do it. Can someone maybe explain to me how?

Much appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. I'm new here :). As I'm nearing my completion of High School (1 year and 1 month to go) I'll be more active in forums like these. Hi!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is definition of density? What is a litre? How is it related to 1 mL? To 1 cm3?

--
methods

Hello and welcome!

To calculate the mass of 1L of ice at -2°C, we can use the formula Density x Volume x Temperature.

First, we need to convert the temperature to Kelvin by adding 273.15 (0°C = 273.15K, -2°C = 271.15K). This is important because temperature must be in Kelvin for this equation to work.

Next, we need to convert the volume from liters to cubic centimeters (cm^3) because the density given is in grams per cubic centimeter. 1L = 1000cm^3.

Now we can plug in the values into the formula:

Mass = 0.917 g/cm^3 x 1000 cm^3 x 271.15K

Simplifying, we get:

Mass = 0.917 x 1000 x 271.15 g

Mass = 248.945 g

Therefore, the mass of 1L of ice at -2°C is approximately 248.945 g.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Calculate Mass of 1L Ice @ -2°C: Density x Volume x Temperature

1. What is the formula for calculating mass of 1L ice at -2°C?

The formula for calculating the mass of 1L ice at -2°C is density x volume x temperature. This formula is based on the equation m = ρVΔT, where m is the mass, ρ is the density, V is the volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you determine the density of ice at -2°C?

The density of ice at -2°C can be determined by using a density chart or table. Alternatively, you can use the formula ρ = m/V, where ρ is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume. You will need to know the mass and volume of the ice at -2°C in order to use this formula.

3. Can the density of ice at -2°C vary?

Yes, the density of ice at -2°C can vary depending on factors such as impurities, pressure, and temperature. However, for most practical purposes, the density of ice at -2°C is considered constant and can be found in density tables or charts.

4. Why is it important to calculate the mass of 1L ice at -2°C?

Calculating the mass of 1L of ice at -2°C is important in many scientific and industrial applications. It can help determine the amount of ice needed for a particular experiment or process, and can also be used to calculate the energy required to melt the ice.

5. How does the temperature affect the mass of 1L ice at -2°C?

The temperature of the ice affects its mass because it can cause changes in the density and volume of the ice. As the temperature increases, the density of the ice decreases and the volume increases. This means that the mass of 1L of ice at -2°C will be different from the mass of 1L of ice at a different temperature.