Calculate Mass of Eri B & C: Solar Mass Ratio

In summary: B and C. in summary, the mass of eri B and C in terms of the mass of the sun is 4.18 and 5.92 solar masses respectively.
mjolnir80

Homework Statement

we are looking at two stars in the eridani system, eri B and eri C. the period of the system is 247.9 years. the system's measured trigonometric parallax is 0.201 arcseconds and the tru angular extent to the semimajor axis of the reduced mass is 6.89". the ratio of distances of eri b and c from the center of mass is ab/ac= 0.37. what is the mass of Eri B and C in terms of the mass of the sun?

Homework Equations

MbRb + McRc / Mb+ Mc

The Attempt at a Solution

im kind of confused about how to start this off. i thought about using the distance of both the stars from the sun as the reference point for the formula but that doesn't really work. If anyone could give me a rough idea of what direction to go with this problem i would really appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to start off is to use the modern version of Kepler's third law to find the system's reduced mass. You can then find the masses of the two components quite easily.

ok so i got the reduced mass
now i know that the formula for reduced mass is m1 + m2 / m1m2 but i don't really know where to go from here
what I am having trouble understanding is where the parallax and ratio of distances comes in

How did you get the reduced mass without using the parallax? Kepler's third law is a relationship between mass, period, and semi-major axis. I don't see how you got mass without knowing the semi-major axis.

Supposing your reduced mass is correct, you know that from the definition of the center of mass, Mb*a_b=Mc*a_c. You also know the ratio between a_b and a_c.

P.S. reduced mass is m1*m2/(m1+m2), not (m1+m2)/m1m2

thanks for the help
i used P^2/a^3 = 4 pi^2/ MG to get the mass

Related to Calculate Mass of Eri B & C: Solar Mass Ratio

1. How do you calculate the mass of Eri B & C?

The mass of Eri B & C can be calculated using the solar mass ratio method. This involves measuring the orbital period and distance between the two stars and using Kepler's third law to calculate their combined mass.

2. What is the solar mass ratio method?

The solar mass ratio method is a technique used to calculate the mass of a binary star system. It involves using the orbital period and distance of the stars to determine their combined mass in relation to the mass of our Sun.

3. What is the equation for calculating the mass of Eri B & C using the solar mass ratio method?

The equation for calculating the mass of Eri B & C using the solar mass ratio method is M = (4π²a³)/(GP²), where M is the combined mass, a is the distance between the stars, G is the gravitational constant, and P is the orbital period.

4. Why is the solar mass ratio method used to calculate the mass of Eri B & C?

The solar mass ratio method is used because it allows for accurate measurements of the masses of binary star systems. It takes into account the gravitational pull between the two stars and is based on fundamental laws of physics.

5. Is the mass of Eri B & C the same as the mass of our Sun?

No, the mass of Eri B & C is not the same as the mass of our Sun. Eri B & C are two separate stars with their own masses, while our Sun is a single star. The solar mass ratio method calculates the combined mass of Eri B & C in relation to the mass of our Sun, but it does not mean they have the same mass.