Magnetic field at the center of a star

In summary: I think with a little more work I can figure out how to do this.In summary, the magnetic field at the center of the star is .95 gauss and can be found from points A-F.
liquidgld9

Homework Statement

Imagine a giant star, lit with twinkly lights for the holiday season. Are you interested in the magnetic field at the center of the star? Sure you are. The star has “arm” length (AF) equal to 1 m and 1 amp flows clockwise around the star.
1. Find the following lengths:
BG =
FG =
HG=
FH=
2. Find the magnetic field at point H.
(G is midpoint of A and C and H is in the center)
see attached for pic of star

Homework Equations

Magnetic field of wire: ##B = \frac{Uo}{4\pi} ∫ \frac{(ids \,X\, R)}{r^2} ##

R is the unit vector that points from the differential element to the point of interest
r is the distance between the differential element and the point of interest

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the lengths for part 1:
BG = sin (72) = .95
FG = cos(72) = .3
HG= .3tan18 = .95
FH= 1.02

and I think I can find the field from point A-F

## \frac {Uoi}{4\pi} ∫\frac {(ds i) X (-GHj)} { (GH^2 + (AG - s)^2)^3/2} ##

(I left out the i component on top because it cancels)

where i and j in the integral are directions, and s is the location of ds starting from A.
solving the integral, i get ## -.5 \frac{Uoi} {4\pi} k ##

I am not really sure how to set up the integral for the wires like F-B, I tried:
##r = Ssin18 - (BH-Scos18)##
##ds = dsi + dsj##
with s being the distance of ds starting at B.
I don't think that's right, i couldn't solve the integral.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Imagine a giant star.docx
    42.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Ive come to two conclusions. The first is I miss calculated at least one length in part 1. For part 2, The field in the middle, I think I was making it harder than it needed to be. All lines on the star should create the same magnetic field, in direction and magnitude, so I should only need the field from 1 line, like A-F, and multiply that by the number of sides.

Related to Magnetic field at the center of a star

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that is created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed, and it can be represented by magnetic field lines.

How is a magnetic field created at the center of a star?

In the core of a star, there is a process called turbulent convection. This involves hot plasma rising and cooler plasma sinking, creating a swirling motion. As a result, electric currents are generated which produce a magnetic field.

Why is the magnetic field at the center of a star important?

The magnetic field at the center of a star plays a crucial role in the star's overall structure and behavior. It can affect the star's rotation, convection, and even its energy output. It also has an impact on the formation and evolution of a star.

How is the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a star measured?

The strength of a magnetic field can be measured using a unit called Gauss. In the case of stars, the magnetic field strength is typically measured in kilogauss (kG). This can be done through various methods such as spectroscopy and polarimetry.

Can the magnetic field at the center of a star change over time?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of a star can change over time. This can happen due to the star's evolution or due to external influences such as interactions with other stars or interstellar magnetic fields. Scientists are still studying and trying to understand the mechanisms behind these changes.