Calculate Mass of Ice Cube from Calorimetry Experiment

• Thread starter Myr73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Mass
In summary, the mass of the ice cube can be found by using the formula m(ice) = (m(al)C(al)(T(al)-Tf) + m(w)C(w)(Tw-Tf) + m(w)Lfusion)/(C(ice)(Tf-Ti)+Lfusion). It is important to include the latent heat of fusion in the equation in order to account for the phase change of the ice.
Myr73
A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -8.5C and placed in a 95g aluminium calorimeter filled with 310g of water st room temperature of 20C. The final situation is observed to be all water at 17C. What was the mass of the ice cube?

C (al)= 900, C (water)= 4186, C (ice)= 2100

m(al)= 0.095kg, m(water) = 0.310kg, m (ice)= ??
T (ice)= -8.5 C,T(final)= 17C, Twater= 20C, I assume the temperature of the aluminium container is the same of the water at 20C so T(al)= 20C,

heat lost= heat gained

I got --> m(al)C(al){ Tal- Tf} + m(w) C(w) { Tw- Tf) = m(ice) C(ice) { Tf- Ti}.
And then of course I would derive the formula to find the missing m(ice). However I am not getting the right answer. Can someone show tell me what I neeed to change in the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account the latent heat of the solid ←→ liquid phase change?

Oh, I forgot that, umm.. so I would add m(w) Lfusion on the left side and m(ice) Lfusion on the right ??

Not both sides, just one. It melts, and stays melted.

oh right I was thinking I needed it for the water, but it doesn't change state, SO + m(ice) Lfusion on the right side? Is the rest of my equation right?

1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to calculating the mass of an ice cube?

Calorimetry is the measurement of heat flow in a system. In this experiment, we use a calorimeter to measure the heat flow between the ice cube and the surrounding water, which allows us to calculate the mass of the ice cube.

2. How does the mass of the ice cube affect the results of the calorimetry experiment?

The mass of the ice cube is directly related to the amount of heat that is absorbed or released during the experiment. A larger ice cube will absorb more heat, while a smaller ice cube will absorb less heat. Therefore, accurately measuring the mass of the ice cube is crucial in obtaining accurate results.

3. What other factors can affect the accuracy of the mass calculation in a calorimetry experiment?

Other factors that can affect the accuracy of the mass calculation include the accuracy of the temperature measurements, the insulation of the calorimeter, and any external heat sources that may interfere with the experiment.

4. Can the mass of the ice cube be calculated using other methods besides calorimetry?

Yes, the mass of the ice cube can also be calculated by measuring its dimensions and using its density. However, this method may not be as accurate as using calorimetry, as it does not take into account the heat flow between the ice cube and the surrounding water.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in a calorimetry experiment that could affect the mass calculation?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error in a calorimetry experiment that could affect the mass calculation. These include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete melting of the ice cube, and human error in measuring temperature or mass. It is important to minimize these sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.