Calculate Minimal Speed to Throw Stone from Moon to Earth

In summary: Maybe it's just a typo or mistake in the book.In summary, the minimum speed required for a stone thrown from the moon to reach Earth is approximately 2.26 km/s. This is found by equating the change in gravitational potential energy to the negative of the entire kinetic energy of the object, and solving for the velocity. However, there may be a slight discrepancy due to the estimation of the distance at which the forces are equal.
Karol

Homework Statement

At which minimal speed must a stone be thrown from the moon in order to reach earth.
R is the Earth's radius and r the moon's.
M is the Earth's mass and m the moon's.
I ignore the stone's mass, it cancels

Homework Equations

$$U=-\frac{GMm}{r}$$
G=6.7E-11
R=6.4E6 [m]
r=1.7E6 [m]
M=6E24 [kg]
m=M/81

The Attempt at a Solution

There is point A at a distance 54R that the forces equal. to reach there:
$$-\frac{GM}{81r}-\frac{GM}{60R-1.7E6}+\frac{V^2}{2}=-\frac{GM}{81\cdot 6R}-\frac{GM}{54R}$$
$$\frac{V^2}{2}=GM\left(-\frac{1}{81\cdot 6R}-\frac{1}{54R}+\frac{1}{81r}+\frac{1}{60R-1.7E6}\right)$$
$$V^2=2\cdot 6.7E-11 \cdot 6E24 \left( \frac{-54-81\cdot 6}{81\cdot 6\cdot 54\cdot 6.4E6}+\frac{1}{81\cdot 1.7E6}+\frac{1}{60\cdot6.4E24-1.7E6}\right)$$
$$V=1804$$
It should be V=2.26 [km/sec]

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
You've already correctly found the (approximate) distance that it needs to travel in order to fall towards Earth instead of towards the moon.

From conservation of energy:
ΔKE = ΔGPE
(KE = Kinetic Energy ... GPE = Gravitational Potential Energy)ΔGPE will be the change between the moon's surface and the point 6R from the center of the moon

ΔKE will be (the negative of) the entire KE of the object (because we want it to run out of speed when it gets to that point, because the problem asked for the minimum speed)

So, essentially the problem comes down to finding the change in Gravitational Potential Energy.So what would you say the change in GPE would be?

Last edited:
I'll try to discern what your math says is the ΔGPE

Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

$$-\frac{GM}{81r}-\frac{GM}{60R-1.7E6}+\frac{V^2}{2}=-\frac{GM}{81\cdot 6R}-\frac{GM}{54R}$$

I'll rearrange your equation to get:
$$(\frac{GM}{54R}-\frac{GM}{60R-1.7E6})+(\frac{GM}{81\cdot6R}-\frac{GM}{81r})=-\frac{V^2}{2}$$

On the left side we have ΔGPE and on the right side we have ΔKE
(except for the common factor of the mass of the object, which we will ignore)

Seems right to me.When I calculate it, though, my answer is 2.02 km/s

I'm not sure why it's a little different than the given answer of 2.26 km/s(I calculated it before my first reply and got 2.31 km/s ... I'm not sure what I did inconsistently)
Perhaps the discrepensy is from the estimation of the distance (54R and 6R) where the gravity is equal.Edit:
P.S. I think there's a E24 where there should be an E6 in your final equation (the last term)

Last edited:
You are right about the last term:
$$V^2=2\cdot 6.7E-11 \cdot 6E24 \left( \frac{-54-81\cdot 6}{81\cdot 6\cdot 54\cdot 6.4E6}+\frac{1}{81\cdot 1.7E6}+\frac{1}{60\cdot6.4E6-1.7E6}\right)$$
This gives V=2315 which is closer.
The distance to the equilibrium point A is 54R according to the book

Karol said:
The distance to the equilibrium point A is 54R according to the book

Well then that's strange. I'm not sure what else could account for the error.

1. What is the formula to calculate the minimal speed to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth?

The formula to calculate the minimal speed required to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth is v = √(GM/R), where v is the speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the distance between the centers of the Moon and Earth.

2. How is the minimal speed to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth affected by the Moon's gravity?

The minimal speed required to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth is directly affected by the Moon's gravity. The stronger the Moon's gravitational pull, the higher the minimal speed will need to be in order for the stone to reach Earth.

3. Is it possible for a human to physically throw a stone from the Moon to Earth?

No, it is not physically possible for a human to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth. The minimal speed required to do so is much higher than the maximum speed a human can achieve with their arm strength alone.

4. Can the minimal speed to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth be calculated using different units of measurement?

Yes, the minimal speed can be calculated using different units of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, the distance can be measured in kilometers or miles, and the mass can be measured in kilograms or pounds.

5. How does the minimal speed to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth compare to the escape velocity of the Moon?

The minimal speed required to throw a stone from the Moon to Earth is much lower than the escape velocity of the Moon. The escape velocity is the speed required to completely leave the Moon's gravitational pull, while the minimal speed only needs to reach Earth's gravitational pull.