Calculate neutron dose rate from a reactor to an object

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the dose rate to an object, specifically 1g of quartz (SiO2), in a research reactor neutron flux. The confusion lies in accounting for the different ranges of energies and whether to use average energy or not. There is a lack of information for calculating neutron dose to non-human objects. The suggestion is to look into the NIEL (non-ionizing energy loss) value provided by the reactor operators, which is typically normalized to 1 MeV neutrons. However, this value may vary for different materials.
Eibbor
So, I'd like to calculate the dose rate to an object, say 1g of quartz (SiO2) placed into a research reactor neutron flux. The average kinetic energy of research reactor neutrons is 2 MeV but individual neutron energies vary dramatically. Say the thermal neutron flux is 1E13 n/cm2/sec and the fast neutron flux is 1E12 n/cm2/sec. I'm confused as to how to properly take the different ranges of energies into account, or whether to use average energy. I see a lot of information for calculating neutron dose to humans but not much for calculating neutron dose to anything else. Any helpful info or formulas I'm missing would be appreciated. I don't expect you to look up all the cross-sections or anything, just any helpful info would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are good the reactor operators have some value for NIEL (non-ionzing energy loss), where they integrated over the energies to normalize everything to 1 MeV neutrons. This is typically done for silicon, other materials might have different energy/damage relations, often those are not well-known.

1. How is the neutron dose rate calculated from a reactor to an object?

The neutron dose rate can be calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of radiation decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the dose rate at a certain distance from the reactor can be determined by dividing the dose rate at the reactor by the square of the distance.

2. What factors affect the neutron dose rate from a reactor to an object?

The neutron dose rate is affected by several factors, including the type and power of the reactor, the distance from the reactor, shielding materials, and the geometry of the object. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and pressure can also impact the dose rate.

3. Can the neutron dose rate be measured or is it only calculated?

The neutron dose rate can be both measured and calculated. Measurements can be taken using specialized instruments such as neutron detectors, while calculations can be done using mathematical formulas and computer simulations.

4. How is the neutron dose rate expressed?

The neutron dose rate is typically expressed in units of sieverts per hour (Sv/h) or rem per hour (rem/h). These units represent the amount of radiation dose received per unit of time.

5. How is the neutron dose rate used in radiation protection?

The neutron dose rate is an important factor in assessing the potential health risks and implementing safety measures for workers and the general public. It is used to determine appropriate shielding requirements, establish safety protocols, and monitor radiation levels to ensure they are within acceptable limits.