Formula for calculating neutron flux?

In summary, to calculate the neutron flux, you will need to gather information on various factors such as the liquid scintillator, electronics system, and the beam of neutrons from a reactor. You will also need to obtain specific values from your experiment, people operating the reactor, or other detectors. Without this information, it is not possible to calculate the neutron flux.
Priyo
I have a liquid scintillator, the electronics system, and a beam of neutrons from a reactor. How do I calculate the neutron flux? Cold anybody give me a formula or equation? Not this equation: phi = n X v, where phi - flux, n = number of neutrons per cm3, v = velocity of the neutrons, because I don't know how to get any of these information. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need some values from somewhere. From your experiment, from the people operating the reactor, from other detectors - something. You cannot calculate a number without any information.

Thanks for your reply! COuld you tell me what those informations/parameters should be so I can go look for those values?

From your description, and previous threads, this seems to be fairly high level experimental project. In which case, just ask someone at your lab.

The neutron flux will depend on a bunch of factors, and as mfb points out, you can find it from a variety of places, but it comes down to either measuring it, or asking someone who has already measured it.

1. What is a neutron flux?

A neutron flux is a measure of the number of neutrons passing through a unit area per unit time. It is often used in nuclear physics and engineering to describe the intensity of a neutron beam or the amount of neutron radiation in a given area.

2. Why is calculating neutron flux important?

Calculating neutron flux is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and control the behavior of neutrons in various systems. This is crucial for applications such as nuclear power generation, neutron imaging, and neutron scattering experiments.

3. What is the formula for calculating neutron flux?

The formula for calculating neutron flux is flux = neutron current / cross-sectional area. This means that the flux is equal to the number of neutrons per unit time divided by the area through which they are passing.

4. How is neutron flux measured?

Neutron flux can be measured using various techniques, such as neutron detectors, activation detectors, or fission chambers. These devices capture the number of neutrons passing through a specific area and convert it into an electrical signal that can be measured and recorded.

5. What factors can affect the neutron flux calculation?

The neutron flux calculation can be affected by factors such as the geometry and material of the system, the energy and source of the neutrons, and any absorbing or scattering materials present. It is essential to consider these factors when calculating neutron flux to ensure accurate results.