Calculate number farmers "close" to make a profit

• MHB
  • Thread starter najon
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the number of non-profitable farmers who are "close" to making a profit, you will need to calculate the total sales of all 50 farmers and use that to determine the percentage of loss for each non-profitable farmer.
najon
I have a math question that I am struggling with:Background: In my model, I have 50 farmers who plant and sell cotton. Each farmer while running their farm have costs (operations, debt, labor etc...​) and they generate revenues from selling cotton. All farmers have different land size, therefore the amount of cotton harvested and sold is different for all.

Profitable farmers are considered to be the ones with: revenues (sales) - costs >0
​NON-Profitable farmers are considered to be the ones with: ​revenues (sales) - costs <=0question:

​Now, I want to calculate the number of non-profitable farmers who are "close" to make a profit.Let say, I have 30 profitable farmers and 20 non-profitable farmers. Among the 20 non-profitable farmers, how many are "close" to make profit.by close, I mean, how many of them make only a 10% (or less) loss?

​for example, if farmer A profit calculation is: 500-550 = -$50
then, he's an non-profitable farmer. he's missing $50 to reach the breakeven point. how do I calculate the percentage of his loss? is he within 10% or less to reach breakeven?

thanks for your help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question depends on the total sales (revenues) of the 50 farmers. You will need to calculate the total sales of the 50 farmers and then use that number to calculate the percentage of loss for each non-profitable farmer. For example, if the total sales of the 50 farmers is $10,000, then you can calculate the percentage of loss for Farmer A by taking 500/10,000 = 0.05 = 5%. If the percentage of loss is 10% or less, then Farmer A is considered to be "close" to making a profit.

1. How do you calculate the number of farmers needed to make a profit?

The number of farmers needed to make a profit can be calculated by dividing the total profit by the profit generated per farmer. This will give you the minimum number of farmers needed to break even.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the number of farmers needed to make a profit?

Some factors to consider when calculating the number of farmers needed to make a profit include the cost of production, market demand, and the selling price of the product. Other factors such as labor costs and overhead expenses should also be taken into account.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the number of farmers needed to make a profit?

There is no specific formula for calculating the number of farmers needed to make a profit, as it will vary depending on the specific circumstances and variables involved. However, a basic formula would be Profit/Profit per farmer = Number of farmers needed.

4. How can you determine the ideal number of farmers to maximize profits?

The ideal number of farmers to maximize profits will depend on the specific market conditions and the goals of the farming operation. It may require conducting market research and analyzing financial data to determine the optimal number of farmers to achieve the desired level of profitability.

5. What are some potential challenges when trying to calculate the number of farmers needed to make a profit?

Some potential challenges when calculating the number of farmers needed to make a profit include fluctuations in market demand, unexpected changes in production costs, and competition from other farmers. It is important to regularly review and adjust the calculations as needed to ensure profitability.