Calculate Oxygen Mass at RT & Pressure: 78 cm3

In summary, to calculate the mass of 78 cm3 of oxygen at room temperature and pressure, we need to first determine the number of moles by dividing the volume by the molar gas volume. Then, we multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of oxygen to get the mass in grams. However, if there is a reaction involved, we need to adjust the molar mass accordingly.
markosheehan
Calculate the mass of 78 cm3 of oxygen at room temperature and pressure .

Im trying to work out the number of moles and then multiply by 32.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
Calculate the mass of 78 cm3 of oxygen at room temperature and pressure .

Im trying to work out the number of moles and then multiply by 32.

$n(O) = \dfrac{V(O)}{V_m(O)}$

$m(O) = n(O)M(O)$.

$V_m$ is the molar gas volume.

Im sorry I am still confused. I know the right answer is .104g

markosheehan said:
Im sorry I am still confused. I know the right answer is .104g

The molar volume of a gas ($V_m$) at room temperature and standard pressure is $24$ liter.
That is, $1$ mole is $24$ liter.
How many moles does that make in $78\text{ cm}^3$?

Thanks.
I feel the answer is wrong. 78/24000 ×32 is what gives the answer at the back of the book. Should it not be multiplied by 16 though because in the balanced equation for the reaction it's a half mile of oxygen is formed.?

markosheehan said:
Thanks.
I feel the answer is wrong. 78/24000 ×32 is what gives the answer at the back of the book. Should it not be multiplied by 16 though because in the balanced equation for the reaction it's a half mile of oxygen is formed.?

Not sure what you mean. Was there a reaction involved?

We have 78/24000 moles of oxygen molecules ($O_2$).
Each molecule consists of 2 oxygen atoms, and an oxygen atom has mass 16u.
Therefore we multiply the moles with $2\times 16=32$.

sorry i forgot to mention it was calculate the mass of 78 cm3 of oxygen produced by the the composition of hydrogen peroxide.
h202 goes to h20 +.5o2
so does this not mean you would multiply it by 16 instead of 32

1. How do I calculate oxygen mass at room temperature and pressure?

To calculate oxygen mass at room temperature (RT) and pressure (P), you will need to use the ideal gas law, which is PV = nRT. In this equation, P represents the pressure, V represents the volume (in this case, 78 cm3), n represents the number of moles of oxygen, R is the universal gas constant, and T represents the temperature in Kelvin. You can rearrange this equation to solve for n, which is the number of moles of oxygen. Once you have the number of moles, you can then use the molar mass of oxygen (32 g/mol) to calculate the mass of oxygen.

2. What is the universal gas constant?

The universal gas constant, represented by the symbol R, is a constant value used in the ideal gas law. It has a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K or 8.3145 J/mol·K.

3. What is the molar mass of oxygen?

The molar mass of oxygen is approximately 32 g/mol. This means that one mole of oxygen atoms weighs 32 grams.

4. What is the temperature unit used in the ideal gas law?

The temperature unit used in the ideal gas law is Kelvin (K). This is because Kelvin is the standard unit for measuring temperature in the scientific community and it is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of gas particles.

5. Can the ideal gas law be applied to all gases?

The ideal gas law can be applied to most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. It is most accurate for monatomic gases, such as helium and neon, and less accurate for larger, more complex molecules. Additionally, it is not accurate for gases that are close to their boiling point or have strong intermolecular forces.