Calculate Pipeline Length: Pressure Drop & Parameters Explained

• Thread starter Amirul96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the length of a pipeline. One way to do so is by using the equation for pressure drop, but there is a lack of information on the pipe length and pressure drop, which may need to be calculated. The conversation also mentions other parameters that are typically given, such as gas flowrate, pressure, temperature, molecular weight, compressibility, and viscosity, but there is uncertainty about whether or not they need to be calculated as well. Finally, the conversation brings up the question of what exactly is meant by "pipe friction" and what factors should be considered in its calculation.
Amirul96
Hi,

I want to ask how to calculate the length of pipeline..From what i have searched, one of the way to calculate it is from the equation of pressure drop. However, it seems i don't have info about the pipe length and pressure drop (it means i need to calculate it). Is it possible to calculate the pipe length without those two info?

As in the attachment are the type of parameter may related to calculate the length of pipeline

Regard,
Mirul

Attachments

• Spreadsheet 1.PNG
    Spreadsheet 1.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 124
  • spreadsheet 2.PNG
    spreadsheet 2.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 120
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are you actually trying to calculate, and what are you given?

Likes jim mcnamara
Amirul96 said:
how to calculate the length of pipeline
Usually you are given the length of the pipeline as one of the first specifications. How can you not know how far you need to pipe your product?

Likes jim mcnamara
Chestermiller said:
What are you actually trying to calculate, and what are you given?

i want to calculate the line friction and i believe in order to calculate it i need the length of pipeline.
Capture 3.PNG

On the other side, the input are gas flowrate, pressure, temperature, molecular weight, compressibility and viscosity. However, i really doubt molecular weight, compressibility and viscosity are input and need to be calculate too.
Capture 4.PNG

Amirul96 said:
i want to calculate the line friction and i believe in order to calculate it i need the length of pipeline.
View attachment 266269

On the other side, the input are gas flowrate, pressure, temperature, molecular weight, compressibility and viscosity. However, i really doubt molecular weight, compressibility and viscosity are input and need to be calculate too.
View attachment 266270
What is your definition of the "pipe friction", the shear stress at the wall? Or is it the pressure gradient times the length of pipe?

1. What is pipeline length and why is it important in calculating pressure drop?

Pipeline length refers to the distance between the starting point and the end point of a pipeline. It is important in calculating pressure drop because the longer the pipeline, the greater the frictional losses and the higher the pressure drop.

2. How do you calculate pipeline length?

Pipeline length can be calculated by measuring the distance between the starting point and the end point of the pipeline. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by adding the individual lengths of each section of the pipeline.

3. What is pressure drop and how does it affect pipeline performance?

Pressure drop is the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipeline due to frictional losses. It affects pipeline performance by reducing the flow rate and increasing the energy consumption required to maintain the flow.

4. What parameters are involved in calculating pipeline length and pressure drop?

The parameters involved in calculating pipeline length and pressure drop include the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), pipe properties (such as diameter and roughness), flow rate, and pipeline geometry (such as bends and fittings).

5. How can pressure drop be minimized in a pipeline?

Pressure drop can be minimized in a pipeline by using larger diameter pipes, reducing the number of fittings and bends, and selecting a fluid with lower viscosity. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pipeline can also help reduce pressure drop.