Calculate Principal Inertias - Exercise Hint

• Thread starter fabiancillo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of inertias with respect to the x and y axes and the principal inertias for a given painted area. The hint provides equations for calculating these inertias for a triangle, and suggests using the superposition property of the moment of inertia to split the shape into smaller pieces. The conversation also mentions the use of the parallel axis theorem for calculating inertias for rectangles.
fabiancillo
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hello I have problems with this exercise

For the painted area calculate inertias with respect to the x and y axes and the principal inertias

Hint:
$I_x = \displaystyle\frac{bh^3}{12}$
$I_{xy} = \displaystyle\frac{b^2h^2}{24}$

Thanks

Attachments

• inerciaprincipals.png
    inerciaprincipals.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
Keeping in mind the superposition property of the moment of inertia, can you split this shape up into pieces and evaluate ##I_x## and ##I_y## for them separately?

ergospherical said:
Keeping in mind the superposition property of the moment of inertia, can you split this shape up into pieces and evaluate ##I_x## and ##I_y## for them separately?
I am totally blocked

fabiancillo said:
I am totally blocked
That's also called a moment of inertia!

• Haha
Likes jbriggs444, haruspex and ergospherical
Ok I'll try

fabiancillo said:
$$I_x = \displaystyle\frac{bh^3}{12}$$
$$I_{xy} = \displaystyle\frac{b^2h^2}{24}$$
Fixed the LaTeX by doubling the dollar signs.
I note you only quote equations for a triangle. Do you have any for the rectangles? If not, you'll need to cut those into triangles.
Do you know the parallel axis theorem?

What is the purpose of calculating principal inertias?

The purpose of calculating principal inertias is to determine the distribution of mass and how it is oriented in a rigid body. This information is important in understanding the stability, motion, and behavior of the object.

What are the steps involved in calculating principal inertias?

The steps involved in calculating principal inertias include determining the mass and dimensions of the object, finding the center of mass, and using the moment of inertia formula to calculate the principal inertias along the three axes of rotation.

How do you interpret the results of a principal inertia calculation?

The results of a principal inertia calculation can be interpreted by looking at the values of the principal inertias. A higher principal inertia indicates a greater resistance to rotation around that axis, while a lower principal inertia indicates a lower resistance. The orientation of the principal inertias also provides information about the object's stability and motion.

What are some real-world applications of calculating principal inertias?

Calculating principal inertias has many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles, aircraft, and other structures. It is also used in robotics, where the principal inertias can help determine the stability and movement of the robot. In sports, calculating principal inertias can be used to analyze the performance of athletes and equipment.

Are there any limitations to calculating principal inertias?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating principal inertias. The calculations assume that the object is rigid and has a uniform density, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the calculations do not take into account any external forces acting on the object. Therefore, the results should be interpreted with caution and may not accurately reflect the behavior of the object in all situations.