What is the total moment of inertia using the negative area method?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Length
In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a shape using the negative area method and joining gaps in an I section. The total moment of inertia is equal to the difference between the individual moments of inertia of three rectangles. The moment of inertia of Rectangle 1 is calculated to be 1.611 * 10^8 mm^4, while the moments of inertia of Rectangles 2 and 3 are equal and calculated to be 1.701 * 10^7 mm^4. The total moment of inertia is then found to be 1.272 * 10^8 mm^4. However, the problem assumes that the web width is 40 mm, which is not shown on the drawing
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
What is the area moment of inertia for this problem?
Relevant Equations
##I_{2} = I_{3} = \large\frac{1}{12}\normalsize bh^{3} = \large \frac{1}{12}\normalsize *35*(180 mm)^{4} = 1.701*10^{7} mm^{4}##
##I_{total} = (I_{1} + A_{1}d_{1}^{2} ) + (I_{2} + A_{2}d_{2}^{2}) + (I_{3} + A_{3}d_{3}^{2})##(d is the distance between centroid of the individual box and centroid of whole shape.)

By negative area method by joining the gaps in I section.

##I_{total} = (I_{1} + A_{1}d_{1}^{2} ) - (I_{2} + A_{2}d_{2}^{2}) -(I_{3} + A_{3}d_{3}^{2})##

Centroid of two new sections matches with centroid of final shape. So ##d_{1}##, ##d_{2}## and ##d_{3}## are zero.

##I_{total} = (I_{1} - I_{2} - I_{3})##

Moment of Inertia of a Rectangle 1,##I_{1} = \large \frac {1}{12}\normalsize bh^{3} = \large \frac {1}{12}\normalsize 110*260^{3}

= 1.611 * 10^{8}mm^{4}##

Moment of Inertia of a Rectangle 2 and 3 are equal because they have similar dimensions ##I_{2} = I_{3} = \large\frac{1}{12}\normalsize bh^{3} = \large \frac{1}{12}\normalsize *35*(180 mm)^{4} = 1.701*10^{7} mm^{4}##

Area moment of Interia, ##I_{total} = I_{1} - 2I_{2} = 1.272*10^{8} mm^{4}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem assumes I guess that the web width is 40 mm (same as flange width) but the dimension should have been shown on the drawing.

PhanthomJay said:
Problem assumes I guess that the web width is 40 mm (same as flange width) but the dimension should have been shown on the drawing.
Are you saying that taking 35 as base is wrong?

No, I am saying it is correct if the width of the middle vertical rectangle is assumed to be 40mm. The drawing does not show that width, which it should have, because the problem otherwise could not be solved with incomplete information given.

1. How do you measure the base length of 35?

The base length of 35 can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place one end of the ruler at the starting point of the base and extend it until it reaches 35 units.

2. What unit of measurement is used to determine the base length of 35?

The base length of 35 can be measured in any unit of length, such as inches, centimeters, or meters. It is important to specify the unit of measurement when stating the base length of 35.

3. What is the significance of a base length of 35?

The significance of a base length of 35 depends on the context in which it is being used. In geometry, a base length of 35 could refer to the length of one side of a triangle or other polygon. In construction, it could refer to the length of a wall or foundation. The significance of a base length of 35 will vary depending on the situation.

4. Can the base length of 35 be changed?

The base length of 35 can be changed by physically altering the length or by using a different unit of measurement. However, if the base length is part of a specific shape or structure, changing it may alter the integrity or functionality of that shape or structure.

5. How does the base length of 35 affect other measurements or calculations?

The base length of 35 can affect other measurements or calculations depending on its relationship to other measurements or parts of a shape or structure. For example, in a right triangle, the base length of 35 could be used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse or the height. In construction, the base length of 35 could affect the placement and length of other walls or beams. It is important to consider the base length of 35 in relation to other measurements when making calculations or designing structures.