Calculate shadow path & size + object size based on distance

In summary, when calculating shadow path and size for a 2D circle moving along a specific path, there are certain variables to take into account. These include the size of the circle, its starting and ending points, and the path of its shadow. Additionally, the concept of 3D space in a 2D representation must be considered, and it may be helpful to research 3D projection techniques for further understanding.
chubby92
What are the variables I need to take in account if I want to calculate shadow path and size?
I will try to simplify my questions.

I have a 2d circle (radius: 28) which means the size of the circle (in box) is 56x56 at specific point (lets say 300,300).

I tell the 2d circle to go in specific path, let's say from 300,300 to 300,200.

I want to tell its shadow what path to do based on the 2d circle path.

ofcourse the size of the ball need to be calculated aswell..

I guess I need some extra variables because I am talking about 3d space in 2d.. (lets say the "sun" is always above the ball so u don't need to calculate its degrees from the "sun", only its distance)
I am pretty sure it's possible but I have no idea how to calculate and what extra variables I need...
Hopefully you understood what I want, if u didnt just tell me which part and I will try to re-explain or something.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do you calculate the shadow path?

The shadow path can be calculated using the formula: shadow path = object height / tan (sun's altitude angle).

2. How do you calculate the shadow size?

The shadow size can be calculated using the formula: shadow size = object size * (shadow distance / object distance).

3. What is the relationship between the object size and the shadow size?

The relationship between the object size and the shadow size is proportional. This means that as the object size increases, the shadow size will also increase.

4. How does the distance between the object and the light source affect the shadow size?

The distance between the object and the light source has an inverse relationship with the shadow size. This means that as the distance increases, the shadow size decreases.

5. What is the importance of calculating the shadow path and size in scientific research?

Calculating the shadow path and size is important in scientific research as it allows for accurate measurements and predictions of how natural and artificial lighting will affect objects in a given environment. This information can be useful in fields such as architecture, astronomy, and environmental studies.