Calculate Size of Column for 10 Storey Building

• Thread starter Nezero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, a 10 storey building with columns spaced on an 8m by 10m grid requires a column at the base to support a concrete floor slab with a thickness of 300mm and a live load of 3.0kPA. The reaction at the base of the internal column can be calculated using the equations P=F/A and Volume * density = mass, and the size of the column can be estimated assuming an allowable axial stress of 20MPa and a square cross section. However, it is important to note that the total vertical compressive load at the column base should be multiplied by 10 to account for the 10 levels of the building.
Nezero

Homework Statement

A 10 storey building has columns spaced on a 8m by 10m grid.
a) Calculate the reaction at the base of an internal column assuming a 300mm thick concrete floor slab and a live load of 3.0kPA (ignore self weight of column and assume concrete density 2.4t/m^3

b) Assuming an allowable axial stress of 20MPa in the reinforced concrete column estimate the size of column assuming a square cross section

Homework Equations

P=F/A
Volume * density = mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm a bit confused by the wording of the question firstly.
So there is an 10 storey building with a concrete floor slab which is 8m by 10m with 300mm thickness right. So there is one column supporting this floor slab.
Firstly I calculated the mass of the slab which is 8 * 10 * 0.3 * 2.4 = 57.6tons
So the weight of that is 57600 * 9.8 = 564.48kN
So the column must support that + the live load.
Live load = 3000 Pa.
P= F/A
F=PA
F= 3000 * 8 * 10 / 1000 = 240kN
So total reaction force = 564.48kN+ 240kN = 804.48kN
Now there are no answers so I can't check this. Is this right?
b)
So is P = 20MPa
P = F/A
F= 804.48kN
A= 804.48kN/20MPa = .040224m^2
Sqrt(A) = 0.2m
So 0.2 by .02 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh being from the States where the metric system is not used in structural design, I don't have a good feel for your numbers. Nonetheless, your calcs seem OK except for one important step you missed..the number of stories supported by the interior column. The column base must support all 10 floors, so your loads are off by a factor of 10, and that will increase the size of your column significantly.

So does that mean that the weight of the concrete slab must be multiplied by 10 for each level?

Nezero said:
So does that mean that the weight of the concrete slab must be multiplied by 10 for each level?
I believe the problem implies that there is a 300mm floor slab and at each level and a 3kPa live load at each level. The base of the column supports all 10 levels, wheras the upper part of the column just supports one level, and the middle part supports 5, etc;, so in theory, you could use columns of different sizes from top to bottom, the lowest being the largest, but economy might dicate just using one or 2 sizes; but in any case, you're asked to design based on the highest load, which occurs at the base.

Whoops I just realized, I meant do I multiply by 10 because there are 10 levels. If there were 20 then it would be by 20.
So there for I would also multiply 3kPa by 10 as well.

Nezero said:
Whoops I just realized, I meant do I multiply by 10 because there are 10 levels. If there were 20 then it would be by 20.
So there for I would also multiply 3kPa by 10 as well.
Yes, botom line here is that your total vertical compressive load at the column base is 8045kN, the column area required is thus 0.4m^2, and the column dimensions are roughly 0.6m by 0.6m.

Related to Calculate Size of Column for 10 Storey Building

1. What factors affect the size of a column in a 10 storey building?

The size of a column in a 10 storey building is affected by several factors such as the height of the building, the type of material used for construction, the load-bearing capacity of the column, and the type of foundation used.

2. How do you calculate the size of a column for a 10 storey building?

The size of a column for a 10 storey building can be calculated using structural engineering formulas that take into account the building's height, the expected load that the column will bear, and the type of material used for construction.

3. What is the most common material used for columns in a 10 storey building?

The most common material used for columns in a 10 storey building is reinforced concrete. This material is strong, durable, and has a high load-bearing capacity, making it suitable for supporting the weight of a multi-storey building.

4. Is it necessary to calculate the size of columns for a 10 storey building?

Yes, it is necessary to calculate the size of columns for a 10 storey building to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the building. Improperly sized columns can lead to structural failures, which can be dangerous for the occupants of the building.

5. Can the size of columns vary for different levels in a 10 storey building?

Yes, the size of columns can vary for different levels in a 10 storey building. This is because different levels may have different load-bearing requirements based on the design and purpose of the space. Structural engineers take into account these variations when calculating the size of columns for a multi-storey building.