Calculate surface mass density in the galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the number density and velocity dispersion of bright F dwarf stars at a specific distance from the Galactic center. The number density is given by an exponential function with a scale height of 250 pc, while the velocity dispersion is given by a function that includes the scale height and a constant value of 14 km/s. The goal is to calculate the surface mass density within 1 kilo parsec of the galactic plane, which is found to be equal to 90 solar masses per square parsec. The approach to solving this problem may involve using the Jeans equation, but the individual is unsure of where to start and has been unable to find a clear explanation online.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Suppose the number density of bright F dwarf stars at the Sun's radial distance from the Galactic center, varied with height above the galactic plane as:

n(z)=n0 exp(-z/h)

where h = 250 pc. Also suppose that the velocity dispersion of these dwarfs varies with z as [tex]\sigma_{z}^{2}=\sigma_{z_{0}}^{2}(1+\frac{z}{h})[/tex] where [tex]\sigma_{z_{0}}[/tex]=14 km/s.

Show that the surface mass density within 1 kilo parsec of the plane is

[tex]\Sigma=90 M_{sun} / pc^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I literally have no idea where to start, I've been working on this question for hours and have not gotten any progress. I've searched google top and bottom looking for an explanation. All I can find is research papers that give no derivation, or the websites use quantites and methods other than what is given to me in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a feeling that it has something to do with the Jeans equation but I don't really know how to go about it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Calculate surface mass density in the galaxy

What is surface mass density in the galaxy?

Surface mass density in the galaxy refers to the amount of mass per unit area in the Milky Way. It is a measure of how much matter is distributed across the surface of the galaxy.

How is surface mass density calculated?

Surface mass density is calculated by dividing the total mass of the galaxy by its total surface area. This can be done by using observations of the galaxy's rotation curve and the application of Newton's law of gravity.

Why is calculating surface mass density important?

Calculating surface mass density is important because it helps us understand the distribution of matter in the galaxy and provides insights into its formation and evolution. It is also a key factor in determining the dynamics of the galaxy and its interactions with other galaxies.

What are the units of surface mass density?

The units of surface mass density are typically given in solar masses per square parsec (M☉/pc²) or kilograms per square meter (kg/m²). These units represent the amount of mass in a given area of the galaxy.

How does surface mass density vary across the galaxy?

Surface mass density varies across the galaxy, with higher densities typically found in the central regions and lower densities in the outer regions. This is due to the concentration of matter in the galactic bulge and the lower density of the outer spiral arms.