Calculate Tension in String for Frequency of 120Hz

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the tension in a string with a mass of 1.45 g and length of 50.0 cm attached to a frequency generator and weight holder. The string is set to vibrate until a fundamental frequency of 120 Hz is achieved. To find the tension, the relation between tension, mass per unit length, and velocity of the wave in the string needs to be determined. The unit of tension is kgm/s^2 and the unit of mass per unit length is kg/m. The value of sqrt{(kgm/s^2)/(kg/m)} needs to be found to relate the units.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

One end of a string of mass 1.45 g and length 50.0 cm is attached to a frequency generator and the other end to a weight holder which hangs over a fixed pulley . The part of the string between the generator and the pulley is horizontal . THe string is set to vibrate . Several weights are added until a fundamental frequency of 120 Hz is achieved . Calculate the tension in the string when the fundamental frequency is achieved .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f=v/2L

120=v/(2 x0.05)

v=120 m/s

not really sure whether this is even an attempt . I do not know how to link the v i got here to tension in the string .

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find the relation between tension, mass per unit length and the velocity of the wave in the stretched string.

rl.bhat said:
Try to find the relation between tension, mass per unit length and the velocity of the wave in the stretched string.

i am not sure how to relate them since the unit of tension is kgm/s^2 , mass per unit length is kg/m and velocity , m/s

how can i combine m/s and kg/m to get kgm/s^2 ?

thereddevils said:
i am not sure how to relate them since the unit of tension is kgm/s^2 , mass per unit length is kg/m and velocity , m/s

how can i combine m/s and kg/m to get kgm/s^2 ?

What is the value of
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{kgm/s^2}{kg/m} = ?}[/tex]

Related to Calculate Tension in String for Frequency of 120Hz

1. How do I calculate the tension in a string for a frequency of 120Hz?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T = (m/L)*(2πf)^2, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the string, L is the length of the string, and f is the frequency. Therefore, for a frequency of 120Hz, you will need to know the mass and length of the string to calculate the tension.

2. Why is calculating the tension in a string important?

The tension in a string is important because it affects the overall sound produced by the string. A higher tension will result in a higher pitch, while a lower tension will result in a lower pitch. It also affects the stability and playability of the stringed instrument.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of stringed instrument?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of stringed instrument, as long as you have the necessary information such as the mass and length of the string. It can be used for instruments like guitars, violins, pianos, and even harps.

4. What are some factors that can affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be affected by various factors such as the thickness and material of the string, the tuning of the string, and the stretching or aging of the string over time. The type of stringed instrument can also affect the tension, as different instruments may require different tension levels for optimal sound.

5. How can I adjust the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be adjusted by changing the length of the string, adjusting the tuning pegs, or using a capo or fret to shorten the length of the string. However, it is important to note that changing the tension can affect the sound and playability of the instrument, so it should be done carefully and with proper knowledge.