Calculate the amplitude of the fifth harmonic (square wave + HP filter)

In summary: I'm a little slow in the math department I guess. ;)In summary, a high pass filter tuned for a corner frequency of 40 000 rad/s and with a damping coefficient of 1/sqrt(2) is subjected to a square wave voltage with amplitide of 1 volt and 8000 rad/s. The amplitude of the fifth harmonic on the output side of the filter is 0.180.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

A high pass filter tuned for a corner freq. of 40 000 rad/sek and with a damping coeffisient of 1/sqrt(2) is being subjected to a square wave voltage with amplitide of 1 volt and 8000 rad/sek.
What is the amplitude of the fifth harmonic on the output side of the filter?

Homework Equations

This is a part of a large case regarding filters of different kinds, so I have alreade defined the filter components and dimensions. I have also found the equation needed to find the output amplitude factor when a specific frequency is being subjected to the filter:

[tex]
|H| = \frac{\omega^2}{\sqrt((\omega_0^2 - \omega^2)^2 + (2 * \zeta * \omega_0 * \omega)^2)}
[/tex]

Where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency subjected to the filter and [itex]\omega_0[/itex] is the corner frequency of the filter

So with values it goes like this:
[tex]
|H| = \frac{8000^2}{\sqrt((40000^2 - 8000^2)^2 + (2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt(2)} * 40000 * 8000)^2)} = 0,0399690
[/tex]

Next I have found that the amplitude of the fifth harmonic when subjecting the filter to a square wave is:
[tex]
\frac{4A}{5\pi}
[/tex]
Where A is the applied voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the applied voltage is 1 volt, and the output amplitude factor is 0.0399, I jumped right on it like this:
[tex]
\frac{4*0,0399}{5\pi} = 0,01018
[/tex]

But that's wrong.
The correct answer is [itex]\frac{2\sqrt(2)}{5\pi}=0,180[/itex]

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one.. ?

Twinflower said:

Homework Statement

A high pass filter tuned for a corner freq. of 40 000 rad/sek and with a damping coeffisient of 1/sqrt(2) is being subjected to a square wave voltage with amplitide of 1 volt and 8000 rad/sek.
What is the amplitude of the fifth harmonic on the output side of the filter?

Homework Equations

This is a part of a large case regarding filters of different kinds, so I have alreade defined the filter components and dimensions. I have also found the equation needed to find the output amplitude factor when a specific frequency is being subjected to the filter:

[tex]
|H| = \frac{\omega^2}{\sqrt((\omega_0^2 - \omega^2)^2 + (2 * \zeta * \omega_0 * \omega)^2)}
[/tex]

Where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency subjected to the filter and [itex]\omega_0[/itex] is the corner frequency of the filter

So with values it goes like this:
[tex]
|H| = \frac{8000^2}{\sqrt((40000^2 - 8000^2)^2 + (2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt(2)} * 40000 * 8000)^2)} = 0,0399690
[/tex]

Next I have found that the amplitude of the fifth harmonic when subjecting the filter to a square wave is:
[tex]
\frac{4A}{5\pi}
[/tex]
Where A is the applied voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the applied voltage is 1 volt, and the output amplitude factor is 0.0399, I jumped right on it like this:
[tex]
\frac{4*0,0399}{5\pi} = 0,01018
[/tex]

But that's wrong.
The correct answer is [itex]\frac{2\sqrt(2)}{5\pi}=0,180[/itex]

Where did I go wrong?

Looks like you used the wrong value for A. It's 1V, not 0.0399V.
BTW I don't know how you defined A. So when you recalculate don't be surprised if you're off by 2:1 either way.

The number 0.0399 is totally irrelevant.

The value A is 1 V on the input side of the filter, but according to |H|, it is 0.0399 V on the output side.

The correct answer indicates that the output voltage should be 0.707 V, which is miles away from my calculated one. (By curiosity, the only way you can achieve 0.707 V on the output of the HP filter, is when you are applying the same freq. as the border frequency and get -3dB damping).

The output voltage is anyway multiplied by four and divided by 5pi. That is the correct procedure to find the fifth harmonic, right?

What's the Fourier series for a square wave with amplitude A ?

4A/5pi

Hi again Twinflower!

The fifth harmonic of the square wave is indeed at ω=5·8000 rad/s and has amplitude A=1 V.

To find the response at this frequency, you need to calculate:
|Vout(ω=5·8000)| = |H(ω=5·8000)| |Vin(ω=5·8000)|

I believe you calculated H at the wrong frequency... ;)

OH!

THATS why I got that the "real answer" coicided with the border frequency! 40000 = 5*8000

thank you plenty, Serena! I have 10 boys to tell some news now :)

Yep. H is much easier to calculate with ω=40000.
I think they chose the 5th harmonic on purpose!

I have 10 boys to tell some news now :)

Uhh... which boys? :confused:
Don't tell me you have 10 dwarves...

hehe, we where like 10 guys a the study a few days back, and *noone* thought about the sin(5*omega*t)-part, only of the amplitude part.

So, i got some good news for them now, this has puzzled us for days. And boy do I feel stupid :)

edit: And btw, I only have one dwarf, which is plenty for now :) He can count to 16 or something, but doesn't understand magnituds of more than 3 (one candy, two candies, three candies --> mandy candies)

Yeah, it's like finding x.
Avoid difficult calculations - just point out where it is! :D

Like your avatar :)

Twinflower said:
4A/5pi

Right! So propagate that voltage thru your transfer function:
(4A/5π)*|H(jω)| where ω = 40,000.

And remember, 4A/5π is amplitude, not rms.

Last edited:
I actually forgot to multiply the input freq. with 5
Thank you by the way :)

What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of periodic waveform that alternates between two levels, typically a high and low voltage, with a constant period. It has a distinct square shape when graphed over time.

What is a high-pass filter?

A high-pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows signals with frequencies above a certain cutoff frequency to pass through while attenuating signals with lower frequencies. In other words, it removes or reduces low-frequency components from a signal.

Why is the fifth harmonic important?

The fifth harmonic is important because it represents the fifth multiple of the fundamental frequency in a signal. It can affect the overall shape and quality of the signal, and can be used to extract information about the original waveform.

How do you calculate the amplitude of the fifth harmonic?

To calculate the amplitude of the fifth harmonic, you will need to know the amplitude of the fundamental frequency and the ratio of the fifth harmonic to the fundamental frequency. The amplitude of the fifth harmonic can be calculated by multiplying the amplitude of the fundamental frequency by the ratio of the fifth harmonic.

What factors can affect the amplitude of the fifth harmonic?

The amplitude of the fifth harmonic can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude and frequency of the fundamental wave, the quality and design of the high-pass filter, and any external interference or noise present in the signal. Changes in any of these factors can result in a different amplitude for the fifth harmonic in the final signal.