Calculate the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk

In summary: No, it is actually the other way around.In summary, the center of mass of a regular complete cone can be found using the 3D integral. Explicitly, this looks like taking the cylindrical coordinates and integrating over the cone's surface.
Norashii
Homework Statement
Let a hollow trunk cone as in the figure with density ## \mu ##, upper ##r ##, lower radius ##R ##, height ##h ## and one of it's bottom parts pushed to a height ##b ## but the upper part is not deformed. Calculate the position of it's center of mass.
Relevant Equations
## r_{cm} =\frac{1}{M} \int \int \int r dm ##
Problema09.png

I couldn't make progress in this problem, I would appreciate some suggestion on how could I attack this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the center of mass of a regular complete cone using the 3D integral? Explicitly what does that look like.

hutchphd said:
Can you find the center of mass of a regular complete cone using the 3D integral? Explicitly what does that look like.
Yes, for a regular complete cone you can use the symmetry and ##x_{cm}=y_{cm}=0##, for the ##z## coordinate you can just use cylindrical coordinates ##z_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\theta\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{z\frac{R}{h}}z \rho(z) \mu d\rho dz = \frac{2\pi}{M}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{z\frac{R}{h}}z \rho(z) \mu d\rho dz = \frac{2\pi}{M}\cdot \frac{R^2}{2h^2}\cdot\frac{h^4}{4}\cdot \frac{3M}{\pi R^2 h} = \frac{3}{4}h##

For the hollow cone : ## z_{cm} = \frac{h}{2\pi R \mu \int_{0}^{h}zdz}\cdot \frac{2\pi \mu R}{h}\int_{0}^{h}z^2dz =\frac{2}{h^2}\cdot \frac{h^3}{3} = \frac{2}{3}h ##

Are you told how the base of the deformed cone varies with [itex]\theta[/itex]?

pasmith said:
Are you told how the base of the deformed cone varies with [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Linearly, but there is no explicit expression given.

So you need an equation that relates (##z,\theta,\rho ##) to define the bottom plane (this will go in the lower limit).
And the upper limit needs to be truncated.
You can also start from a perfect cone and add "negative mass" pieces for the cut out sections. Same difference.

Norashii said:
one of it's bottom parts pushed to a height ##b ##
That's rather unclear.
If it is "pushed up", as though the whole thing is elastic, the angle of the right side will change. E.g. with the origin at bottom left, a point in the cone that was at (x,y,z) is now at (x,y,z') where ##z'=z+(h-z)\frac{xb}{2Rh}##.
But is that the only way it might be deformed, consistent with the given description?
And what happens to the density? Is the mass more concentrated in some areas now, as would happen in reality, or is it merely the shape that is changed?
Or does it really mean that part of the base is removed with an angled slice, so no actual deformation?

haruspex said:
That's rather unclear.
If it is "pushed up", as though the whole thing is elastic, the angle of the right side will change. E.g. with the origin at bottom left, a point in the cone that was at (x,y,z) is now at (x,y,z') where ##z'=z+(h-z)\frac{xb}{2Rh}##.
But is that the only way it might be deformed, consistent with the given description?
And what happens to the density? Is the mass more concentrated in some areas now, as would happen in reality, or is it merely the shape that is changed?
Or does it really mean that part of the base is removed with an angled slice, so no actual deformation?

I'm really sorry for the imprecision, actually you can consider ##b << h## such that the density does not change significantly and can be considered approximately constant.

Norashii said:
I'm really sorry for the imprecision, actually you can consider ##b << h## such that the density does not change significantly and can be considered approximately constant.
So are you confirming the mapping of z that I specified in post #7?

Also, merely adding b<<h does not allow us to ignore density change. We would have to do the full analysis, then check whether letting b tend to zero makes the effect of a density change go to zero faster than some other terms. My suspicion is that it would not.

haruspex said:
So are you confirming the mapping of z that I specified in post #7?

Also, merely adding b<<h does not allow us to ignore density change. We would have to do the full analysis, then check whether letting b tend to zero makes the effect of a density change go to zero faster than some other terms. My suspicion is that it would not.

Yes, the mapping seems right and about the density, thinking a bit more I believe that it has to change even for a small ##b##, because if it stayed constant the ##CM## wouldn't be displaced in the ##x-y## plane which is something that should happen.

Norashii said:
about the density, thinking a bit more I believe that it has to change even for a small b, because if it stayed constant the CM wouldn't be displaced in the x−y plane
Isn't it the other way around? If we just deform the shape, but keep the density constant then the CM will shift in the -x direction, whereas if we consider it as mass particles dm shifting vertically then the CM only shifts vertically.

haruspex said:
Isn't it the other way around? If we just deform the shape, but keep the density constant then the CM will shift in the -x direction, whereas if we consider it as mass particles dm shifting vertically then the CM only shifts vertically.
Yes, but the CM shifts only vertically if you keep the mass dm constant and just change it's height. However if you deform and the deformed part becomes denser then the CM should move to the denser region, it is like a compression am I wrong?

Norashii said:
Yes, but the CM shifts only vertically if you keep the mass dm constant and just change it's height.
That's the same as I wrote in post #11, but that is the case where the density increases. You have pushed the same total mass into a smaller surface area.

If you deform the shape but the density stays the same you have lost mass on the shrunken side.

Norashii said:
Homework Statement:: Let a hollow trunk cone as in the figure with density ## \mu ##, upper ##r ##, lower radius ##R ##, height ##h ## and one of it's bottom parts pushed to a height ##b ## but the upper part is not deformed. Calculate the position of it's center of mass.
Relevant Equations:: ## r_{cm} =\frac{1}{M} \int \int \int r dm ##

I couldn't make progress in this problem, I would appreciate some suggestion on how could I attack this problem.

On revisiting this I realize I have no idea what a "hollow trunk cone" means.

\

hutchphd said:
On revisiting this I realize I have no idea what a "hollow trunk cone" means.

\
It means that it is a cone trunk without thickness

Norashii said:
It means that it is a cone trunk without thickness
And a "cone trunk" is what I would call a "frustrated cone" or "frustum".
The one in the question is not just frustrated but quite bent out of shape.

Likes hutchphd
Oh its an ice cream cone...I see. A soluble form for the problem would involve planar cuts at the top and bottom...no crumpling please.

1. What is the formula for calculating the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk?

The formula for calculating the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk is:
x̅ = (m₁x₁ + m₂x₂ + ... + mᵢxᵢ) / (m₁ + m₂ + ... + mᵢ)
y̅ = (m₁y₁ + m₂y₂ + ... + mᵢyᵢ) / (m₁ + m₂ + ... + mᵢ)
where x̅ and y̅ are the coordinates of the center of mass, mᵢ is the mass of each small element, and xᵢ and yᵢ are the coordinates of each small element.

2. How do you determine the mass of each small element in a deformed hollow cone trunk?

The mass of each small element can be determined by multiplying its volume by the density of the material. In the case of a deformed hollow cone trunk, the volume can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a cone: V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the element.

3. Can the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk be outside of the object?

No, the center of mass of any object will always be located within the boundaries of the object. In the case of a deformed hollow cone trunk, the center of mass will be located somewhere within the trunk itself.

4. How does the shape of the deformed hollow cone trunk affect its center of mass?

The shape of the deformed hollow cone trunk can greatly affect its center of mass. A more elongated or asymmetrical shape will result in a center of mass that is shifted towards the heavier end of the object. This is because the center of mass is influenced by the distribution of mass within the object.

5. Can the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk change?

Yes, the center of mass of a deformed hollow cone trunk can change if the shape or distribution of mass within the object changes. For example, if a portion of the trunk is removed, the center of mass will shift towards the remaining portion of the trunk. Additionally, if the object is rotated or tilted, the center of mass will also change accordingly.