Calculate the circulation of vector field

In summary, the person is trying to find the circulation around a square using a given vector field. They believe they need to find the circulation along one side and multiply by 4, but they are unsure of their calculations. The expert confirms their result and suggests using Stokes' theorem to check.
Jonsson
Hello there,

I've got a vector field which you can see here: Sketch of the vector field . It is: [itex]\vec{v} = \cos(x)\,\sin(y)\vec{i}-\sin(x)\,\cos(y)\vec{j}[/itex]

Say I want to find the circulation around the square formed by [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2} \, \leq x \leq \, \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2} \, \leq y \leq \, \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. I think that I should do this by finding the circulation along one of the sides, and multiply by 4 (I can tell from the vector field that the circulation along one of the sides is going to be equal to every other side.

This is where I become unconfident. [itex]\int_{y = -\frac{\pi}{2}}^{y = \frac{\pi}{2}}\vec{v}\,\mathrm{d}\vec{r}[/itex] Please correct me if I am wrong. Any criticism is appreciated:

My [itex]\mathrm{d}\vec{r} = \mathrm{d}y\vec{j}[/itex] along the y-axis, for the first side: [itex](\Delta y = -\frac{\pi}{2}, x = -\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex].

[itex]\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos(x)\,\sin(y) \, \mathrm{d}y -\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin(x)\,\cos(y) \, \mathrm{d}y[/itex]

[itex]\cos(-\frac{\pi}{2}) = 0[/itex], so the first integral is equal to zero.

[itex]-\sin(-\frac{\pi}{2})\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(y) \, \mathrm{d}y = \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(y) \, \mathrm{d}y = [\sin(y)]_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} = \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) - \sin(-\frac{\pi}{2}) = 2[/itex]

First question:
Is the above correct?

Second question:
Can you think of any additional criticism?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct if you multiply your result by 4 to get the value of the line integral ##I=8##.

You can check the result using Stokes' theorem $$\oint \vec{v}\cdot d\vec l=\int_S \vec {\nabla}\times \vec v \cdot \hat n~dS$$Here, ##\vec {\nabla}\times \vec v=-2\cos(x)\cos(y)~\hat z##. We have already chosen clockwise line integration therefore ##\hat n=-\hat z##.Thus, $$\int_S \vec {\nabla}\times \vec v \cdot \hat n~dS=+2\int_S\cos(x)\cos(y)dx~dy=2\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)dx\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(y)dy=8.$$

What is the definition of circulation of a vector field?

The circulation of a vector field is a measure of how much the vector field "circulates" or flows around a closed path. It is a line integral, which means it is calculated by adding up the values of the vector field along the path.

How is the circulation of a vector field calculated?

The circulation of a vector field is calculated using the line integral formula:
C = ∫C F • dr
where C is the closed path, F is the vector field, and dr is the differential displacement along the path.

What does a positive circulation value indicate?

A positive circulation value indicates that the vector field is flowing in the same direction as the path. This means that the vector field is pushing the object along the path.

What does a negative circulation value indicate?

A negative circulation value indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the path. This means that the vector field is pushing the object against the direction of the path.

Can the circulation of a vector field be used to determine the direction of flow?

Yes, the sign of the circulation value can be used to determine the direction of flow of the vector field. A positive value indicates flow in the same direction as the path, while a negative value indicates flow in the opposite direction.