Calculate the current in all parts of this electric circuit

In summary, the output is 23 watts across the resistor with the resistance 6 ohms. The current in all parts of the circuit as well as the polarity and EMF ε of the unknown battery can be calculated.
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
In the circuit below, the output is 23 W across the resistor with the resistance 6 Ohm. Calculate the amount of current in all parts of the circuit as well as the polarity and EMF ε of the unknown battery.
Relevant Equations
Basic formulas for electric circuits
In the circuit below, the output is 23 W across the resistor with the resistance 6 Ohm. Calculate the amount of current in all parts of the circuit as well as the polarity and EMF ε of the unknown battery.
Circuit:
Skärmavbild 2020-03-04 kl. 23.15.41.png

My attempt:

IMG_0592.jpeg

I get 6 unknowns with 5 equations. I don't know how to find the last equation.

Thanks in beforehand!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation: what is ##I_K## ? Where is ##I_4## ?

Ah, I see. And where is ##I_P## in the equations ? Only in the 13.25 ?
You make things difficult for yourself by not first simplifying the circuit. It can easily be reduced to three resistors and the two voltage sources.

Likes scottdave
BvU said:
Ah, I see. And where is ##I_P## in the equations ? Only in the 13.25 ?
You make things difficult for yourself by not first simplifying the circuit. It can easily be reduced to three resistors and the two voltage sources.
Yes ##I_P## is only in 13.25, I wrote the numerical value directly instead of the symbol ##I_P##. I know I can reduce the ressistors to one equivalent ressistor in the part of the circuit where the current is ##I_0## but I already did that in equation 1. How do i reduce the circuit to an equivalent circuit with three resistors and the two voltage sources? How would you solve this? I know I can reduce the part where the current ##I_0## goes in the circuit but I did that in equation 1.

Karl Karlsson said:
Yes ##I_P ## is only in 13.25

What about the difference between ##I_P## and ##I_2## ? Would that be your missing eqn ?

Karl Karlsson said:
How do i reduce the circuit to an equivalent circuit with three resistors
One in the left branch, one in the right branch and one in the middle branch :smile: !

Also makes you understand there are three relevant currents, not 8 or 9

Likes Merlin3189
BvU said:
What about the difference between ##I_P## and ##I_2## ? Would that be your missing eqn ?
How can you calculate what ##I_P## - ##I_2## is?

BvU said:
One in the left branch, one in the right branch and one in the middle branch :smile: !

Also makes you understand there are three relevant currents, not 8 or 9
So you mean ##I_5## = ##I_3## and ##I_P## = ##I_2##? Can you show that please? And thanks for everything!

These follow from the definition of an ideal battery: it provides zero resistance at fixed potential difference.

Karl Karlsson said:
Can you show that please?
current is charge flow. If the currents on the two ends of a battery would not be the same magnitude, the charge accumulation would quickly be enormous ! And with it the electrostatic energy. Compare with a water pump: what goes in must come out or the pump explodes (or implodes)

Likes hutchphd
Bit of a nasty question. Just a casual perusal of the circuit let's one know that the constraint of 23 W dissipated by the 6 Ohm resistor could have current flowing in either direction. So there will be two solutions for the battery emf, one positive, one negative (for your chosen emf direction).

If we find the emf (or rather both emf's) then finding the rest of the currents should be rather straight forward.

Start by consolidating resistances other than the one 6 Ohm resistor in order to simplify the circuit:

1583377361658.png

Essentially the left branch and right branch resistors have been assimilated into single resistances.

We can see that the two 30 Ohm resistors form a voltage divider with E0. So plop that in and re-draw the circuit:

1583377838066.png

From here you should be able to find the *two* values of Eo that will result in a 23 W dissipation by the 6 Ohm resistor. Once you have that, the rest follows from Kirchhoff.

Okay, I don't know if the Problem Originator intended for there to be multiple solutions to the problem, perhaps he/she intended only that the positive value for Eo be considered.

Likes scottdave
gneill said:
We can see that the two 30 Ohm resistors form a voltage divider with E0. So plop that in and re-draw the circuit:
With respect, I find this dangerous and prefer a more straightforward approach, starting from the first layout. With the symbols and notation as in post #1:

1583407906639.png

I2 is known (except for the sign, as Karl -- and I o:) -- misssed).

Postpone the ##\pm##; we have three unknowns: two currents and ##\varepsilon##.
And we have three equations: One simple Krichoff and two Ohm.

As for the sign: Two outcomes, one or both positive for ##\varepsilon##. the original circuit shows ##\varepsilon > 0## so maybe one can be written off.

Too lazy to do the math -- helper prerogative -- it's not my exercise anyway :cool: .
##\ ##

• Informative
Likes scottdave, Merlin3189 and hutchphd
BvU said:
With respect, I find this dangerous and prefer a more straightforward approach, starting from the first layout.
It's just a dash of Thevenin. Nothing to be wary of.

Likes scottdave
Too old to change that for me :cry: . Perhaps something for Karl ... from whom we haven't heard for a while ...

Ooops! Apologies to anyone who read my post. Just after I posted it, I looked at my working again and realized I'd made an arith error which changed my comment on magnitude of E and sign of I2.

Thanks for all the great answers. I didn't know that the current had to be the same at both poles of the battery but as BvU mentioned that must be the case and it makes sense.

Likes BvU
Karl Karlsson said:
Thanks for all the great answers. I didn't know that the current had to be the same at both poles of the battery but as BvU mentioned that must be the case and it makes sense.
So what's your result :rolleyes: ?
Merlin deleted his first post, so the second hangs in the air.
I fumbled a little and found ##I_2<0## to get ##\varepsilon > 0##. Value of result satisfactory. [edit]: and in agreement with 2nd picture in #9: kudos for Thevenin and @gneill !

Last edited:
BvU said:
So what's your result :rolleyes: ?
Merlin deleted his first post, so the second hangs in the air.
I fumbled a little and found ##I_2<0## to get ##\varepsilon > 0##. Value of result satisfactory.
I got ##I_3## = ##I_5## = -1,71A (according to my setup above) and the electromotive force was 44V with reversed polarity. ##I_p## = ##I_2## = 1.96A and ##I_1## = 0.25A. This agrees with the correct answers

Likes scottdave
Karl Karlsson said:
with reversed polarity.
Which doesn't agree with the picture. What do you get when you let ##I_2 = -1.96## A ?

BvU said:
Which doesn't agree with the picture. What do you get when you let ##I_2 = -1.96## A ?
It does if you reverse the positive and negative pole of the battery with emf ε. In the answer sheet it said that the polarity of the battery was reversed

Hmm, you happy, me a little less (bright idea about battery polarity not rewarded :confused: ). Anyway: exercise solved !

Likes Karl Karlsson
gneill said:
Bit of a nasty question. Just a casual perusal of the circuit let's one know that the constraint of 23 W dissipated by the 6 Ohm resistor could have current flowing in either direction. So there will be two solutions for the battery emf, one positive, one negative (for your chosen emf direction).

If we find the emf (or rather both emf's) then finding the rest of the currents should be rather straight forward.

Start by consolidating resistances other than the one 6 Ohm resistor in order to simplify the circuit:

View attachment 258126

Essentially the left branch and right branch resistors have been assimilated into single resistances.

View attachment 258127

From here you should be able to find the *two* values of Eo that will result in a 23 W dissipation by the 6 Ohm resistor. Once you have that, the rest follows from Kirchhoff.

Okay, I don't know if the Problem Originator intended for there to be multiple solutions to the problem, perhaps he/she intended only that the positive value for Eo be considered.
I was wondering that too, except it asks for the polarity of the emf.

Likes BvU
scottdave said:
Yup. So to be complete, you'd have to supply the two solution values with their polarities. Again, a bit of a nasty question for beginners.

Likes BvU
scottdave said:
I completetly missed that o:) and navigated blindly on the visual impression from the diagram.
gneill said:
Yup. So to be complete, you'd have to supply the two solution values with their polarities. Again, a bit of a nasty question for beginners.
And not only beginners !

Lesson learned: "Beware of squares!"
:smile:

Likes gneill and scottdave

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop that allows electric current to flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and power sources.

2. How do you calculate the current in an electric circuit?

To calculate the current in an electric circuit, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, the formula is I = V/R.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric current?

The unit of measurement for electric current is ampere (A), which is defined as the amount of electric charge passing through a given point in one second.

4. Can you have different currents in different parts of an electric circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have different currents in different parts of an electric circuit. This is because the current can change depending on the resistance and voltage in each part of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the current in an electric circuit?

The current in an electric circuit can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and the arrangement of the components (series or parallel). Temperature can also affect the resistance and therefore the current in a circuit.