Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit

• Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
zenterix
Homework Statement
Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit (Problem 2.3 of Chapter 2 of Agarwal's Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits.
Relevant Equations
I will use symmetry.
Consider the following circuit where all resistors have resistance ##1 \Omega##.

1696547321777.png

We would like to find the equivalent resistance.

My solution differs from the answer at the end of the book I am reading, so I would like to know what I did wrong, or if the book is wrong.

Here is what I did

1696547831997.png

I used symmetry to determine the currents on the resistors.

Then I used KVL on the loop that includes these outer resistors and passing through the current source, assuming that the potential difference between a point below the current source (+) and a point above it (-) is V.

##\frac{i_0}{3}+\frac{i_0}{6}+\frac{i_0}{12}-V=0##

##V=\frac{7i_0}{12}=i_0R_{eq}##

##R_{eq}=\frac{7}{12}\Omega##

This seems right to me, but the book says the answer is ##\frac{4}{5}\Omega##

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain how you determined the current ## i_o/3 ##.

Likes zenterix
DaveE said:
Please explain how you determined the current ## i_o/3 ##.
This question immediately showed me where I was going wrong. There is symmetry in the problem but not the symmetry I was using.

The symmetry of the currents is as follows

1696553305265.png

The right and left sides are symmetrical (same currents, resistances, and voltages), but we need independent current (and voltage) variables for the two resistors in the middle.

The next step is to write out seven independent equations in the seven unknown currents.

We have seven total nodes, but the two on the left are exactly the same as the two on the right in terms of equations. Thus, we have five nodes with different equations, but only four are independent equations.

For the three remaining equations, we can use the three small loops on the left side.

The algebra is long and error-prone (I went through it and made mistakes). I decided to put the system in a matrix and use Maple to solve.

Here are the calculations

1696553626997.png

and this system of equations in matrix form (augmented matrix [A b] from Ax=b)

1696553680454.png

the solution to which is
1696553706671.png

Now that we have all the currents (the vector above represents ##i_1,i_1,...,i_7##), we can use KVL on a loop that includes the current source.

For example,

##i_1+i_4+i_5=\frac{4}{5}i_0=V=i_0R_{eq}##

##R_{eq}=\frac{4}{5}\Omega##

OK. I didn't solve it and I'm a bit too lazy to check the details of your work.

However, There are more symmetries than just the A-B axis. You should be able to reduce the dimensionality of your equations. For example, what if ##i_1 \neq i_5 ##?

Also, there's nothing wrong with looking for symmetric currents. Most people would look at the voltages first. It's essentially the same problem. I would prefer voltages, but that wouldn't make it easier.

According to the principle of symmetry, the calculation result I got is 0.8 Ohm, so I think the answer listed in that book is correct.

zenterix said:
Now that we have all the currents (the vector above represents i1,i1,...,i7), we can use KVL on a loop that includes the current source.
zenterix said:
The algebra is long and error-prone (I went through it and made mistakes). I decided to put the system in a matrix and use Maple to solve.
I think the method you used is more rigorous, but also more complicated.
In fact, you can calculate the answer in a very simple way, just by dividing the entire circuit into two parts, either vertically or horizontally.

For example, split it into two parts horizontally
123.jpg

Likes DaveE and nasu
alan123hk said:
In fact, you can calculate the answer in a very simple way, just by dividing the entire circuit into two parts, either vertically or horizontally.

For example, split it into two parts horizontallyView attachment 333126
You can also reduce it again with symmetry about the vertical axis which will give you R'=2||(1+1||(1/2))=0.8.
Then the whole network is four R' in a series parallel arrangement so R=R'=0.8.
But I don't think this last step makes the calculation much easier.

Likes alan123hk
Yes, we can cut the circuit into two parts that are vertically symmetrical or horizontally symmetrical.
Interestingly, cutting a vertically connected resistor horizontally will give you half the resistance value, and cutting a vertically connected resistor vertically will give you double the resistance value.

Likes berkeman
This problem is typical of physics or beginning EE problem sets, but will rarely be see in practice by reals EEs. However, I think it illustrates a very important and useful concept that is used in practice frequently. It is this: do as much as you can to reduce the complexity of the network in question before you start writing KCL & KVL equations. Usually this is done with Norton and Thevenin source transformations. Many linear networks can be mostly solve by repeated sketches of simplifying substitutions with very little math.

Last edited:
Likes zenterix
alan123hk said:

For example, split it into two parts horizontallyView attachment 333126
Interesting approach.

Seems you are splitting as follows

1696805136336.png

and calculating the resistance of the blue part as one thing and then multiplying it by two. I think this multiplication by two is because you are considering the blue in series with the red. Is this so?

I don't see, technically speaking, why you can consider, for example, the left side of the blue part to be 1 + (1 || 1/2) since the wires after the (1 || 1/2) aren't connected together.

This is the same reason why I am a little confused by how we can consider blue and red parts in series when they are connected by three terminals instead of just one.

zenterix said:
Interesting approach.

View attachment 333268

and calculating the resistance of the blue part as one thing and then multiplying it by two. I think this multiplication by two is because you are considering the blue in series with the red. Is this so?

I don't see, technically speaking, why you can consider, for example, the left side of the blue part to be 1 + (1 || 1/2) since the wires after the (1 || 1/2) aren't connected together.

This is the same reason why I am a little confused by how we can consider blue and red parts in series when they are connected by three terminals instead of just one.
I believe the line that divides the system in half like that is all at the same potential. It’s effectively a single node.

zenterix said:
Interesting approach.

View attachment 333268

Because, by symmetry, we know that each node that is midway between the ends must be at equal voltage. If you were to connect those nodes with a wire no current would flow. So the network solution is unchanged by assuming a connection. A wire with no current is the same as no wire.

You might consider re-solving this system with loop-mesh and calculating the potentials at the nodes along the black line.

1696818225244.png

DaveE said:
Because, by symmetry, we know that each node that is midway between the ends must be at equal voltage. If you were to connect those nodes with a wire no current would flow. So the network solution is unchanged by assuming a connection. A wire with no current is the same as no wire.
Got it. This is a consequence of symmetry. Indeed, it seems that considering any points in the circuit starting from A, if we consider points with the same proportion of the total resistance between A and B before them (ie between A and them), then those points have the same potential. Half way is the easiest because it is visually easy to see, but if we had chosen 25% (which would mean probably cutting some resistances in two pieces) we could reach the solution in the same way as in the halfway case.

Likes DaveE
zenterix said:
Got it. This is a consequence of symmetry. Indeed, it seems that considering any points in the circuit starting from A, if we consider points with the same proportion of the total resistance between A and B before them (ie between A and them), then those points have the same potential. Half way is the easiest because it is visually easy to see, but if we had chosen 25% (which would mean probably cutting some resistances in two pieces) we could reach the solution in the same way as in the halfway case.
Yes, but 25% is hard because it's asymmetric. So you might have to solve the network first to know where to split the resistors.

Likes zenterix
That's it, regardless of whether the red wire connection in the picture below is present or not, the resistance Rab is always equal to 1 ohm. The reason is that the potential of the two points is the same, and no current will flow between the two points after the connection, so the current and potential of the entire circuit do not change. :smile:

123.jpg

DaveE said:
Yes, but 25% is hard because it's asymmetric. So you might have to solve the network first to know where to split the resistors.
Indeed, just tried it.

1696819665065.png

The black line would seem at first to be 25% if you just count the number of resistances. But this is incorrect. The equivalent resistance above the black line is 1/3, and this is (1/3)/(4/5) = 5/12 of the total equivalent resistance between A and B. Of course we only know about the 4/5 ex post.

zenterix said:
Indeed, just tried it.

View attachment 333277

The black line would seem at first to be 25% if you just count the number of resistances. But this is incorrect. The equivalent resistance above the black line is 1/3, and this is (1/3)/(4/5) = 5/12 of the total equivalent resistance between A and B. Of course we only know about the 4/5 ex post.
But that black line changes the network. Those nodes aren't equipotential with that connection removed.

Again by symmetry the 25% equipotential cut must divide the vertical (central) resistor in half. Using the 50% cut we know the outer half branch has a total resistance of 1+(1||(1/2)) = 4/3. That is cut in half so the upper outer resistor is cut 2/3 of the way down by the 25% equipotential. Without knowing the 50% cut solution by symmetry, I think this is a difficult problem.

DaveE said:
You can also reduce it again with symmetry about the vertical axis which will give you R'=2||(1+1||(1/2))=0.8.
Then the whole network is four R' in a series parallel arrangement so R=R'=0.8.
But I don't think this last step makes the calculation much easier.
Isn't this equivalent to dividing the entire circuit into four parts that are symmetrical up, down, left, and right, with each part accounting for 25%?
So it can be seen almost immediately that the resistance of the entire circuit is 0.8 ohms.

Likes haruspex
alan123hk said:
Isn't this equivalent to dividing the entire circuit into four parts that are symmetrical up, down, left, and right, with each part accounting for 25%?
So it can be seen almost immediately that the resistance of the entire circuit is 0.8 ohms.
Very neat, though I don’t understand what you mean by "each part accounting for 25%". Don't you mean each quarter is 0.8Ω, making the whole 0.8Ω?

haruspex said:
I don’t understand what you mean by "each part accounting for 25%". Don't you mean each quarter is 0.8Ω, making the whole 0.8Ω?
Sorry, maybe I said too many unnecessary and useless words.
What I mean is that each part takes up 25% of the visible area of the entire circuit and 25% of the number of parts.

alan123hk said:
Sorry, maybe I said too many unnecessary and useless words.
What I mean is that each part takes up 25% of the visible area of the entire circuit and 25% of the number of parts.
How would this split be exactly? How woule you split up the resistors on the vertical line in the center running directly from A to B?

DaveE said:
But that black line changes the network. Those nodes aren't equipotential with that connection removed.
Indeed the black zig zag line I drew is not of equipotential points. And being equipotential is important if our reasoning is based on putting two pieces of the circuit in series based on those points.

The calculation I did would still be useful I think if for some reason we knew that above the black line was located 5/12 of the total resistance. Because in that case we would know that the equivalent resistance above the line which is 1/3 is 5/12 of the total of the circuit which means that

$$\frac{5}{12}R_{eq,total}=\frac{1}{3}$$

$$R_{eq,total}=\frac{12}{3\cdot 5=\frac{4}{5}}$$

zenterix said:
How would this split be exactly? How woule you split up the resistors on the vertical line in the center running directly from A to B?
If you split a resistor R lengthwise, making two parallel resistors, each becomes 2R.
If you split a resistor R crosswise, making two resistors in series, each becomes R/2.

Likes zenterix
DaveE said:
Again by symmetry the 25% equipotential cut must divide the vertical (central) resistor in half. Using the 50% cut we know the outer half branch has a total resistance of 1+(1||(1/2)) = 4/3. That is cut in half so the upper outer resistor is cut 2/3 of the way down by the 25% equipotential. Without knowing the 50% cut solution by symmetry, I think this is a difficult problem.
1696828384421.png

As you say, calculating the equivalent resistance of the left and right pieces makes it easy to see where we need to split the resistors to have the 25% point.

haruspex said:
If you split a resistor R lengthwise, making two parallel resistors, each becomes 2R.
If you split a resistor R crosswise, making two resistors in series, each becomes R/2.
1696828766196.png

We then have two 4/5 resistors in parallel which gives 2/5 on top. And this is in series with the 2/5 on the bottom so 4/5.

zenterix said:
View attachment 333281

We then have two 4/5 resistors in parallel which gives 2/5 on top. And this is in series with the 2/5 on the bottom so 4/5.
Right.

Likes zenterix
zenterix said:
The magic diagram symmetrically divides the circuit into four parts.

123.jpg

Likes zenterix

What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the single resistance value that can replace a complex circuit and produce the same overall current and voltage as the original circuit.

Why is it important to find the equivalent resistance?

Finding the equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall behavior of the circuit.

How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use Ohm's Law (R = V/I) for series circuits or the reciprocal method (1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...) for parallel circuits. You can also use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze more complex circuits.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single pathway, so the current is the same throughout. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple pathways, so the voltage is the same throughout.

Can the equivalent resistance be less than the smallest resistance in the circuit?

Yes, in parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance can be less than the smallest resistance because the overall current is divided among multiple pathways, resulting in a lower overall resistance.