Calculate the discriminant of a basis [Number Theory]

In summary, the conversation is about finding the norm of a complex number and using the product rule of differentiation to simplify the calculation. The norm is found to be p, and the conversation also discusses rearranging the terms and using minimal polynomials to prove the result.
Firepanda
Question:

df91ts.png

The needed proposition and two examples:

1zb9px4.png

This is as far as I have got:

zn0m8h.jpg

I need to reduce this (I think) so I can represent is as a matrix! Any idea on how to do this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How about rewriting your last equation as
[tex](\zeta - 1)Dp(\zeta) = p\zeta^{p-1}[/tex] and then taking norms of both sides?

I'm unsure on how to calculate [itex]N(p\zeta^{p-1})[/itex]

[itex]N(\zeta - 1) = 5[/itex] though.

[itex]N(\zeta - 1)[/itex] isn't 5 - not unless p=5.

As for [itex]N(p \zeta^{p-1})[/itex], this is just [itex]N(p)N(\zeta)^{p-1}[/itex], and [itex]N(p)[/itex] and [itex]N(\zeta)[/itex] are really easy to compute.

Providing [itex]N(\zeta - 1)=p[/itex] (is this easy to prove?) then I also get [itex]N(p)=p^{2}[/itex] and [itex]N(\zeta)=1[/itex]

So my overall answer should be p?

[itex]N(p)[/itex] should be [itex]p^{p-1}[/itex].

And as for computing [itex]N(\zeta-1)[/itex], you can either do it the determinant way (and do a bunch of row operations), or you could use the differentiation trick you used above except with [itex]t=1[/itex] isntead of [itex]t=\zeta[/itex].

Hmm when t=1 I get the denominator as 0, am I not using it right?

Notice that
[tex]t^p - 1 = (t-1)(t-\zeta)\cdots(t-\zeta^{p-1})[/tex] so the t-1 in the denominator gets canceled off.

Edit:
Actually, we don't want to be looking at (t^p-1)/(t-1), rather just at t^p-1. Differentiate both sides of the equation above and plug in t=1.

Just to be clear you want me to differentiate both sides of [itex]t^p - 1 = (t-1)(t-\zeta)\cdots(t-\zeta^{p-1})[/itex]?

Unsure on how to do the RHS without getting messy!

Yes, that's what I want you to differentiate. It won't be too messy (especially if you plug in t=1 after you differentiate). :)

Hmm I'll admit I'm not sure how to go about doing the RHS!

Do I need to? Why can't I use just the differential of the LHS?

If you differentiate the RHS and plug in t=1, everything will immediately vanish except for the first term, which becomes
[tex](1-\zeta)(1-\zeta^2)\cdots(1-\zeta^{p-1}).[/tex]
This really just follows from the product rule of differentiation.

morphism said:
If you differentiate the RHS and plug in t=1, everything will immediately vanish except for the first term, which becomes
[tex](1-\zeta)(1-\zeta^2)\cdots(1-\zeta^{p-1}).[/tex]
This really just follows from the product rule of differentiation.

Ah I see, sorry I've never used the product rule for more than 2 terms before, I get it now!

so [itex]p = (1-\zeta)(1-\zeta^2)\cdots(1-\zeta^{p-1})[/itex]

i suppose we want to rearrange this?

No real rearrangement is necessary. Just notice that the RHS is also [itex](\zeta - 1)(\zeta^2 - 1) \cdots (\zeta^{p-1}-1)[/itex] (because p is odd), which is just the product of all the conjugates of [itex]\zeta-1[/itex], a.k.a. _____

Norm!

So the norm is p? Havn't we got a few too many conjugates though?

Yes, the norm is p, and no we have the right amount of conjugates! This is because the conjugates of [itex]\zeta[/itex] are [itex]\zeta[/itex] itself and [itex]\zeta^2, \ldots, \zeta^{p-1}[/itex]. Try to actually write down a rigorous proof, using minimal polynomials. It should be easy.

Ok thanks :)

Is N(p) = p^p-1 since we can write the matrix as a matrix with only p along the diagonal?

Firepanda said:
Ok thanks :)

Is N(p) = p^p-1 since we can write the matrix as a matrix with only p along the diagonal?
Yup!

Related to Calculate the discriminant of a basis [Number Theory]

1. What is the discriminant of a basis in number theory?

The discriminant of a basis in number theory is a mathematical term that refers to a specific value that can be calculated using the coefficients of a polynomial equation. It is used in number theory to determine properties of a number field, such as its ring of integers and its class group.

2. How do you calculate the discriminant of a basis?

To calculate the discriminant of a basis, you will need to have the coefficients of a polynomial equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c. The discriminant can then be calculated using the formula b^2 - 4ac. This will give you a numerical value that can be used to determine certain properties of the number field.

3. What does the discriminant of a basis tell us?

The discriminant of a basis in number theory can tell us several things, including the number of distinct prime factors of the discriminant, the number of prime factors that appear with odd multiplicity, and the number of real and complex embeddings of the number field.

4.What is the significance of the discriminant in number theory?

The discriminant is significant in number theory because it can be used to classify number fields and determine important properties, such as whether a number is a perfect square or not. It can also be used in conjunction with other mathematical concepts to prove theorems and solve problems in number theory.

5. Can the discriminant of a basis be negative?

Yes, the discriminant of a basis can be negative. This indicates that the number field is an imaginary quadratic field, which has important implications in number theory. The sign of the discriminant can also provide information about the class number and unit group of the number field.