Calculate the equilibrium constant Kc for the reaction at this temperature

In summary, at equilibrium, there is .0965 grams of HI in a 3.67 Liter flask containing 0.763 grams of H2 and 96.9 grams of I2.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

H2 + I2 -> 2HI

A reaction mixture in a 3.67 L flask at a certain temperature initially contains 0.763 g H2 and 96.9 g I2. At equilibrium, the flask contains 90.4 g HI.

Calculate the equilibrium constant Kc for the reaction at this temperature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the ICE chart to try and solve this.

First, I divided the grams of each substance by the molar mass of the compound, and divide it by 3.67 L to get molarity.

.763g H2 / 2 g / 3.67 = .104 M
96.9g I2 / (126.9x2) /3.67 = .104 M
90.4 HI / (126.9 + 1) / 3.67 = .193 M

In my ICE chart, I'm solving for x because .193 M is the concentration at equilibrium. Since [HI] is 0 initially, I found x to be .0965. I subtracted this number from the concentration of H2 and I2 to get its concentration at equilibrium.

Then I used the rate law k = [product]^2/[reactants]

(.193^2)/(.0075^2)

and my answer comes out to be 662

(CORRECT ANSWER IN BOOK IS 764)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No idea how you used ICE table here. This is a simple stoichiometry.

Borek said:
No idea how you used ICE table here. This is a simple stoichiometry.

How would you use stoich? I'm given 2 initial mass and 1 equalibrium mass..

Use equilibrium mass to calculate how much of the initial reacted - that will let you calculate how much was left unreacted.

This is not much different from using ICE table, after all, ICE table is just a simple of way of tracing stoichiometry. But, ICE table is used to construct reaction quotient using unknown concentrations expressed in terms of x, and I don't see how you can solve for x if you don't know Kc value. Unless you used ICE table but solved just for stoichiometry in some twisted way.

Shwo details of your work.

I still don't know how to do this problem, so I would be really happy is someone showed the work for this problem.

I solved for x by assuming that initial concentration of HI is 0 because it has not been formed yet. The change would be .193 M and since there's 2 moles, x is actually .0965.

ahhppull said:
I solved for x

I asked you to show your work. I have no idea what x is nor how you solved for it, so I can't help you.

And no, nobody will show you how to solve the question. We can help you solve it on your own.

Thanks...I got it but I'm just a bit off. Maybe due to my sig figs.

1. What is the equilibrium constant Kc?

The equilibrium constant Kc is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium for a chemical reaction. It is represented by the formula Kc = [Products]/[Reactants], where the square brackets represent the concentration of each species in moles per liter.

2. How is the equilibrium constant Kc calculated?

The equilibrium constant Kc is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The values of the concentrations are typically determined experimentally at a given temperature.

3. What does the value of the equilibrium constant Kc indicate?

The value of the equilibrium constant Kc indicates the extent to which a chemical reaction will proceed towards the products at a given temperature. A larger Kc value indicates a higher proportion of products at equilibrium, while a smaller Kc value indicates a higher proportion of reactants at equilibrium.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant Kc?

Temperature can affect the equilibrium constant Kc by shifting the equilibrium towards either the products or the reactants. In general, an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction. However, the effect of temperature on Kc can vary depending on the specific chemical reaction.

5. Can the equilibrium constant Kc be changed?

The equilibrium constant Kc is a characteristic of a chemical reaction at a specific temperature and cannot be changed by any external factors. However, the values of the concentrations of products and reactants can be altered, which will in turn affect the value of Kc. This can be achieved by changing the temperature, pressure, or adding/removing reactants or products.