Calculate the expression of the antiderivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the expression of an antiderivative using the expression of the integrand, as well as the limitations of this method. It is mentioned that a general formula for finding antiderivatives does not exist and that it often requires memorization or specific techniques for different types of functions. The conversation also touches on the definition of a derivative and the importance of taking the limit when calculating it.
hugo_faurand
Hello everyone !
I've started to work on integral and I wonder if it's possible to calculate the expression of the antiderivative with the expression of the "integrand"1 rather than use a table with the function and its antiderivative.

Thank you in advance !

1( I'm french and I d'ont know the translation for this word, so I make an assumption and I put quotes)

Physics news on Phys.org
hugo_faurand said:
Hello everyone !
I've started to work on integral and I wonder if it's possible to calculate the expression of the antiderivative with the expression of the "integrand"1 rather than use a table with the function and its antiderivative.

Thank you in advance !

1( I'm french and I d'ont know the translation for this word, so I make an assumption and I put quotes)
On can write the antiderivative as a limit of Riemannian sums, which are expressions of the integrand1, but this doesn't give you a closed expression. This can only eventually be done after you know the result, as for ##\int \sin x dx = -\cos x = \sin (x-\frac{\pi}{2})## which is more by chance than by an actual dependency.

1) Neither am I, so this might still be the wrong word.

Yes. If ##\ {dF(x)\over dx} = f(x)\ ## then ##F(x) - F(0) = \int_0^x f(u) du \ ##, and ##F(x)## is an antiderivative of ##f(x)##. But is this what you meant to ask ?

BvU said:
Yes. If ##\ {dF(x)\over dx} = f(x)\ ## then ##F(x) - F(0) = \int_0^x f(u) du \ ##, and ##F(x)## is an antiderivative of ##f(x)##. But is this what you meant to ask ?

In fact, if I have the expression of the integrand, Can I calculate the antiderivative ?
For example, I search the antiderivative of x². I would like to know if it exists a kind of formula to calculate the antiderivative with the expression of the integrand.

You know that ##\ {d\over dx} x^n = nx^{n-1},\ ## so if ##\ F(x) = {1\over n+1}x^{n+1},\ ## then F(x) is an antiderivative of ##x^n##.

This satisfies the criterion 'a formula to calculate the antiderivative' for a specific kind of function ##f##.
A general recipe is not available, so it remains a kind of 'metier', or better: 'artisanat'

hugo_faurand said:
In fact, if I have the expression of the integrand, Can I calculate the antiderivative ?
For example, I search the antiderivative of x². I would like to know if it exists a kind of formula to calculate the antiderivative with the expression of the integrand.
In this case, it is the formula ##x^n \longmapsto \dfrac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}## but this only covers polynomials, and in general, the answer is no. You cannot write down straight away a formula for, say ##\int{\dfrac{\cot (1+x^2)}{\tan (1-x^2)}\, dx}##.

So, I just have to learn by heart my derivative.
Another little question can I use this expression to calculate all the derivatives I want or Is there exeptions ?

$$ f'(x) = \lim_{dx\to 0} \frac{f(x+dx)-f(x)}{dx}$$

Last edited:
Do not forget to take the limit ##dx\rightarrow 0## !
If the limit does not exist, then the derivative also does not exist !

BvU said:
Do not forget to take the limit ##dx\rightarrow 0## !
If the limit does not exist, then the derivative also does not exist !
Yes, corrected !

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. In other words, it is a function that "undoes" the process of differentiation.

2. Why is it important to calculate the expression of an antiderivative?

Calculating the expression of an antiderivative allows us to find the exact value of an indefinite integral. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the integration of functions is necessary for solving problems.

3. How do you calculate the expression of an antiderivative?

The process of calculating an antiderivative involves finding a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. This can be done through various techniques, such as the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts.

4. Are all functions able to have an antiderivative?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative. Some functions, such as simple polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions, have well-defined antiderivatives. However, there are many functions, such as random or chaotic functions, that do not have an antiderivative.

5. How do you know if you have calculated the correct expression of an antiderivative?

One way to check if you have calculated the correct expression of an antiderivative is to differentiate it and see if you get the original function. If the answer is yes, then you have the correct expression. Additionally, you can use mathematical software or online calculators to verify your result.