Calculate the extension of a spring between current-carrying wires

In summary, it appears that the force between two current-carrying wires can be calculated as: $$\dfrac {F}{L}=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi R}$$
jisbon
Homework Statement
Consider two current-carrying wires of length 1 m each and are held in
equilibrium by a spring which has an unextended length of 0.75m
constant of 0.005 N/m. Each wire carries a current of 20 A in opposite directions. Calculate the extension of the spring. Assume that there is no friction
between the wires and the floor and the wires are rigid.
Relevant Equations
-
From what I understand, the force between two current-carrying wires can be calculated as:
$$\dfrac {F}{L}=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi R} $$

Doesn't this mean:

$$\dfrac {F}{L}=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi 1^{2}}=\dfrac {1}{2}kx^{2} $$ ?

$$\dfrac {\left( 4\pi \times 10^{-7}\right) \left( 20\right) ^{2}}{2\pi \left( 0.75\right) }=\dfrac {1}{2}\left( 0.005\right) x^{2} $$

turns out my answer is incorrect, with the correct being 0.0208m

What is my error here?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
From what I understand, the force between two current-carrying wires can be calculated as:
$$\dfrac {F}{L}=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi R} $$
This formula is only accurate if the distance between the two wires is much smaller than the length of the wires, which is not the case here. But it appears that they want you to ignore this and go ahead and use this formula. Otherwise, it would be much more difficult.

Doesn't this mean:

$$\dfrac {F}{L}=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi 1^{2}}=\dfrac {1}{2}kx^{2} $$ ?
Note that ##\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}## does not represent a force (or a force per unit length).

$$\dfrac {\left( 4\pi \times 10^{-7}\right) \left( 20\right) ^{2}}{2\pi \left( 0.75\right) } $$
Will the distance between the wires be 0.75 m after the spring has stretched some?

Last edited:
TSny said:
This formula is only accurate if the distance between the two wires is much smaller than the length of the wires, which is not the case here. But it appears that they want you to ignore this and go ahead and use this formula. Otherwise, it would be much more difficult.

Note that ##\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}## does not represent a force (or a force per unit length).

Will the distance between the wires be 0.75 m after the spring has stretched some?
Nope it will be more than 0.75.
And yes, force = kx, my bad
So, will it be:
$$kx=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi \left( x+0.75\right) }$$
Answer still seems to be wrong

jisbon said:
$$kx=\dfrac {\mu _{0}I_{1}I_{2}}{2\pi \left( x+0.75\right) }$$
Answer still seems to be wrong
This should give you the "correct" answer. Check your work.

Likes jisbon
TSny said:
This should give you the "correct" answer. Check your work.
Seems to be a calculation error from my part. Thanks :)

Likes TSny

What is the equation for calculating the extension of a spring between current-carrying wires?

The equation for calculating the extension of a spring between current-carrying wires is F = k * I^2 * L / x, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, I is the current in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and x is the extension of the spring.

How do the current and length of the wires affect the extension of the spring?

The current and length of the wires have a direct relationship with the extension of the spring. As the current increases, the force on the spring increases, causing it to extend further. Similarly, as the length of the wires increases, the spring will also extend further.

What is the spring constant and how does it affect the extension of the spring?

The spring constant, denoted as k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring will extend less for a given force, and a lower spring constant means that the spring will extend more for the same force.

Can this equation be used to calculate the extension of a spring between any current-carrying wires?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the extension of a spring between any current-carrying wires, as long as the wires are parallel and the current is constant.

Are there any other factors that may affect the extension of the spring between current-carrying wires?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the extension of the spring, such as the material and thickness of the wires, the temperature, and the initial length of the spring. However, these factors are usually negligible and can be assumed to be constant in most cases.